Coopers Lager Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewbieMan5000

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to brew this kit but I'm already getting board thinking about just brewing a lager from the kit. I'm thinking of maybe adding sage and juniper to it. Not sure though I'm still thinking what to add to it. maybe something festive for Christmas/New years.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?.
Or does anyone feel the same way with brewing with a brew kit and adding other things to it?

and from what I understand, adding sage makes your brew a little stronger due to a chemical that's also found in wormwood.

Happy brewing
Dan

I've brewed with sage a couple times last year, it wasn't bad. One was a wheat that I added .4 oz of fresh chopped leaves at flameout. It would definitely be a nice change for the cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla theme. Haven't used juniper but I'm feeling it.

Is it the OS lager can,or one of the "actual" lager cans? Juniper berries might give it a flavor reminiscent of gin. You know it'll always win...:D

Is it the OS lager can,or one of the "actual" lager cans? Juniper berries might give it a flavor reminiscent of gin. You know it'll always win...:D

Yeah I guess it is the OS (original series?) I just picked up 2 ounces of juniper yesterday.

Do yall think I should dry hop it? or maybe add it 15 min before flame out.
What about the sage? I think I might add the sage gradually from beginning to end.

But I should get it started after work hopefully.

Thanks
Happy brewing
Dan

If you're going to add sage/juniper your safest bet is to leave out any additional hops.

The cooper's OS lager comes with ale yeast,so it's actually a light pale ale. But yeah,herbs & juniper berries are more of a gruit ale from the time before hops came into use as a bittering agent.

Ok so we put together the "Gruit Ale" last night over an open fire. It taste pretty good I'm having a good feeling about this brew.

Thanks yall
Dan

Ok so now I'm having an issue. It seems that fermentation is at a halt for some reason. I understand that sometimes your lock may not show signs of fermentation. I have seen it bubble through once and that was it.

I decided to taste it last night, I didn't taste any sugar and also didn't taste any fermentation.

I thought that maybe I could of cooked out that sugar when I was boiling my wort.

I threw in 5lbs of sugar and pitched another pack of yeast....Still nothing is happening as far as showing signs...

Any thoughts?

when I open the top of my fermenter I smell the Co2. And see a nice head of beer foam. But yea It didn't taste like anything at all was happening. and it still seems like nothing is happening.

So much for having a good feeling about this brew. I hope I can fix what ever it is that's happening.

Thanks

What was the temp when you pitched the yeast? What was the temp when you re-pitched. What exactly did you add to the OS lager kit? Did you ever take a hydrometer reading?

I waited the next day to pitch the yeast so it was around 70 degrees. and its about 60 now.

I added sage and juniper.

Never took a hydrometer reading, I attempted to but didn't have anything to take a reading from like a flask of some sort I put it in the brew kettle but it hit the bottom.

yea i figured it out. Human error..

The top of the fermenter I guess wasnt screwed tight enough. Not used to these things, now I know.

Thanks

From my days of Coopers I seem to recall that boiling is not what you do. Just thought I'd throw that out for you. The one time I did try to boil and play around with it turned out to be a wreck. I also remember the lid being a pain to get on straight and screwed down all the way.

I use the tube the hydrometer comes in for testing. And pre-hopped LME should never be boiled. You boil away the hop profile first. I use 3lb bags of plain DME with my cooper's cans,& some extra hops. Half the DME at the beginning of the boil,then the remainder of the DME & the cooper's can at the end. Stir till completely dissolved.
60F is a little cool for cooper's ale yeast the specified range is 62F-72F.

Back