MSG in homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hockeyhunter99

Reaction score
so this sounds a little weird. my father is allergic to MSG (monosodium Glutamate) and had a reaction from one of my homebrews, (he narrowed it down to the only unknown product of the day). he thinks that brewers yeast has MSG as a flavor enhancer??

never heard of it. please let me know!!

Yeast nutrient has MSG in it. Not the yeast itself, also some geletin has MSG in it if you used finings.

Ask him to help you get set up to keg. That way you can filter the brew, and carbonate on CO2 so that there's no yeast left in it...

As an alternative, you could chill some down for a week (or more) and see if he gets a reaction. Just be sure to stop just short of the trub...

It probably has some free glutamate but almost certainly less than, say, a tomato. Is he that sensitive that he can't eat tomatoes? If not, look somewhere else.

Most protein has some glutamic acid in it, which if freed, causes an MSG reaction in sensitive people. Technically most MSG sensitive people are actually not sensitive to MSG but rather the free glutamic acid it releases when metabolized.

Yeah, always going to be some free glutamate in anything that contains protein degradation products. Not much though...

Any free glutamate in a fermenting beer will most likely be taken up by the yeast so I doubt there is much if any glutamate in a finished beer, even if it was intentionally added

Are you guys saying that the Wyeast Nutrient (the one that comes in the 2 oz. vials) has MSG?? I'm totally against ingesting anything that has added MSG...

Its looks as though (see my link at top) All yeast nutient has msg in it.

But MSG isnt bad for you, just the salt monopolys claiming it was addictive etc in the 80's and that stuck ;)

but yeah, if for some other reason you are against it check out that list and cut out 90% of the food you enjoy the most, including alot of homebrew.

Its looks as though (see my link at top) All yeast nutient has msg in it.

But MSG isnt bad for you, just the salt monopolys claiming it was addictive etc in the 80's and that stuck ;)

but yeah, if for some other reason you are against it check out that list and cut out 90% of the food you enjoy the most, including alot of homebrew.

i've read enough about MSG to avoid it, not to mention feeling the effects...and i probably don't eat 90% of what most people "enjoy"

I seek out MSG. If it has it, I buy it. You know why? It makes food taste awesome, and the downsides were nothing but propaganda. Unless you're allergic, MSG is frickin' awesome.

Heck, I might start intentionally adding it to my homebrew. Might win some competitions! :D

I seek out MSG. If it has it, I buy it. You know why? It makes food taste awesome, and the downsides were nothing but propaganda. Unless you're allergic, MSG is frickin' awesome.

Heck, I might start intentionally adding it to my homebrew. Might win some competitions! :D

While I 100% agree that the hysteria over MSG is largely unfounded, it is technically an excitotoxin and probably should be avoided IN EXCESS, just like anything else bad for you.

My father gets real bad rashes on his legs from MSG. it seems to only happen when he eats (or drinks) something with MSG. it makes his eczema act up.

Latest posts

Back