Shiner Cheer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never been impressed with anything Shiner has released. The most notable beer being their black lager. The first time I had it I thought someone was playing a joke on me and put liquid smoke in my beer. I took a sip and that was it. All Shiner has going for them is being a brewery in a state with overinflated self pride as far as I am concerned.

in a state with overinflated self pride as far as I am concerned.

Them's fightin words!!! :rockin:

dont_mess_with_texas_barbedwire.jpg

Just making an observation about the state I was born and raised in that's all. I just wish I lived closer to Austin, by far my favorite city in TX. :cross::mug:

I'm not from Austin, buy I moved here as fast as I could. :cross: :mug:

SWMBO is very happy here.

Yes. The mother-in-law brought home a six-pack for me a couple of weeks ago. I was quite un-impressed. Note to Shiner - next time leave the peaches on the tree!

Just blech!

Chris

Them's fightin words!!! :rockin:

dont_mess_with_texas_barbedwire.jpg

And THAT is why I'll never move from the Republic of Texas :D
cometakeit.jpg

Anyway, I kinda agree with the "Shiner's not so great" sentiment...I haven't had the Cheer but peaches and pecans in a hefeweizen as a Christmas beer? WTF?!?!

Ok, I'll be the black sheep. I generally prefer Shiner when the choices are that or BMC. As far as the Holiday Cheer, I liked it. I enjoyed the peach notes and the pecan finish. Guess it's just me. Hell, I'm drinkin' one now.

I am new to home brewing and have read on this forum alot of folks brewing Hefeweizens so I thought I would try some. I bought a six pack of Shiner Hefeweizen and almost gagged with the first gulp. I finished that one and then just to give it a fair test, opened another the next day. It tastes like crap. I couldn't finish it. I now have 4 more bottles that I don't know what to do with. This was the worse beer I have ever tried. Is the Shiner Hefe typical or should I try another brand?

I

I'm not a fan of American Hefe's. It has to be Bavarian for me. Shiner makes some decent beers when up against BMC, but the Shiner Cheer was downright nasty. SWMBO almost spit it out.

Blech! Blech!

Bad dunkelweizen plus pecans (ok) plus PEACH? WTF?!

Did they even try it before they shipped it? This stuff isn't fit to feed to my lawn.

Did I mention it's just plain foul. Oh wait, I did. :drunk: Good thing I didn't buy a whole sixer, just one bottle!

Blech! Blech!
Did I mention it's just plain foul. Oh wait, I did. :drunk: Good thing I didn't buy a whole sixer, just one bottle!

Ahh, same reaction. Worst Christmas beer I've ever tried.

Summit's Winter Warmer is tasty, and Anchor's Christmas Beer is outstanding this year.

I would not even boil brats in Shiner Cheer.

I would not even boil brats in Shiner Cheer.

I would boil the cockroach I found behind our fridge a few weeks ago in it but that's about it.

Curious who really likes the Anchor Christmas brews. I hate them myself, but I can't stand spiced beers at all... I took a sixer to the party on Saturday, and as far as I know it disappeared. :drunk:

Most Shiner beers are eh. They are our regional non-BMC beer you find most places along with SA. They used to have a Kolsch that was pretty good.

I actually like the Shiner Cheer. It's definitely a different take on beer. I like peaches, I like pecans, and I like wheat beers. It's a good mix for me. I don't like the over-spiced holiday ales that most domestic breweries put out. So to each his or her own...

Resurrection!!! I'm drinking my first Cheer of the season. Some may not enjoy it but I know I'll go through a case or two over the holidays. It definitely tastes like beer with flavor extracts added but it appeals to me for some weird reason. I officially feel like the holidays have begun.

I agree cheer is terrible in an awesome way or awesome in a terrible way either way it's worth the occasional dabble

I had one at the Thanksgiving Eve turkey fry and gumbo boil put on by our HOA president. I didn't hate it but I won't be going out and buying it. Might pair with dessert....

I just tried one. I was quite surprised by how much I liked it. The peach was just strong enough to be noticeable but not so much as to be dominating.

I couldn't drink more than one to a sitting but it's pleasant for a change of pace.

As a Cheer drinker, I'd have to disagree. Peach really jumps out at me, especially as the beer warms up.

So you'd say 1:1? I only got a hold of a case or two this last season but they were all in late Nov, early Dec. So it's been quite a while, and I'm going purely off memory....

Back