Ok now im desperate. FREE BEER!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukesbb37

Reaction score
Hey, so i posted a while ago about cloning a beer called Jumping Cow... its a Trader Joe's brand beer. Looks like not that many people have it... so heres what I wanna do.

If you have a trader joes near you... I will paypal you 7 bucks for a 6 pack of this beer so you can take it home and taste it and try to come up with a clone recipe for me to get started.

Please ONLY people who have experience cloning beers and think they can do a decent job. I know the recipe will not be perfect on its first batch.

Also, if you are one of the more experienced people on this site and are willing to help me, I will buy a 6-pack and SHIP it to you to try.

I prolly wont want to do this for more than 2 or 3 people so PM me if you want free beer and to help out a HBTer who really likes this beer...

Its only $7 for 6 so its not terribly expensive if no one bites on this... but i love it.

What is the style? IPA, Pale Ale, Milk Stout???

Damned interesting Idea!
thumbs_up.gif

haha milk stout, very clever.

No it's an amber ale. Did i mention that its damn good?

No, you didn't but since you seem despirate to get a clone recipe, I assumed it was special.

What other popular commercial amber would you say it is close to? Alaskan Amber, Newcastle, any, none?

So here's the beer on BA:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/562/5655

Looks like it's brewed by "Steinhaus" brewing of Paso Robles, CA which is the contract brewing arm of Firestone Walker and it's 5.5% ABV.

I'm betting if you studied the Firestone Walker Pale 31 and DBA recipes and found their commonalities, then added more caramel malt, a touch of roasted malt, reduced the hops and adjusted the gravities for a 5.5% Amber you'd come up with something close.

Thanks! I'm reading up now. The aroma is kinda caramel/chocolate-y, and it may be closest to newcastle but I haven't had many other (more expensive) ambers.

Never had it but after reading through beer advocate I'll take a shot in the dark. I'll do a screen shot later.

Batch: 5Gal
Boil: 6Gal
ABV: 5.6%
IBUs: 30
OG: 1.054
FG: 1.012
SRM: 14

Mash @ 154 for 60 min.

7.5lbs 2 Row
1lbs Vienna
12oz Victory
6oz British 60L
4oz Chocolate 350L

FWH .75oz Northern Brewer
15 Min .25oz Cascade, .5oz Willamette
Flameout .25oz Cascade, .5oz Willamette

US-05

If the bitterness is a little harsher get rid of the FWH and move it too 15min. Then just swap in a high alpha @ 60min.

I'm not very experienced in cloning, but I think I'll grab a 6 pack based on your recommendation next time I hit TJ's. I've had a few of their house brands with mixed results. Hope you have some success cloning it since you like it so much.

Latest posts

Back