Finally!! I can taste my first home brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxy007

Reaction score
Hi there,
I've been lurking for ages and thought I should probably post something.
My first home brew was bottled on the 7th of Feb and I'm about to try one seeing it's Friday arvo and definetly beer O'clock!! Whooo I can't believe I actually waited over 3 weeks to taste one :mug:

maxy007 said:
Hi there,
I've been lurking for ages and thought I should probably post something.
My first home brew was bottled on the 7th of Feb and I'm about to try one seeing it's Friday arvo and definetly beer O'clock!! Whooo I can't believe I actually waited over 3 weeks to taste one :mug:

Congrats! Just remember, it's still a bit "green" so keep in mind what it tastes like in a few weeks when you try another one that has had a chance to age.

Hmmm it's flat :(
it makes a hiss when i open the bottle and there's a head for about 30 seconds then nothing.
It looks like beer and tastes like beer but it's flat.
I used a can of 1.7Kg coopers mexican creveza
brew enhancer #2 and
kit yeast.
I used 2 coopers carb drops per 750ml bottle.
I fermented at 18-20 degrees and it's been in the bottle for just over 3 weeks.
It's now in the fridge.
is there anything i can do to get some bubbles happening?

Cheers,

Maxy

I'm unaware of the carbonation drops that you're using. I take 3/4 cup corn sugar and put it in a small saucepan, add a pint of water, stir until dissolved, and then bring to a boil for five minutes. As you transfer your wort from the fermenter to the bottling bucket, add the sugary water carefully. That way, every beer gets the same amount of carbonation. It's never failed for me.

I also haven't heard of those carb drops. At this point there isn't a whole lot you can do to your brew since you already bottled it. The best thing to do would probably be to take the beer out of the fridge and let it sit at room temp for another week or two. This may encourage the yeast to metabolize any remaining sugar in the bottles. Colder temperatures (like in the fridge) encourage the yeast to shift their metabolism to a stationary (dormant) phase and fall to the bottom of the bottle.

here's what I found about the carb tabs...i've never used them:

Coopers carbonation drops replace priming sugar and are a unique easy-to-use homebrew carbonation system. Each drop has the ability to fully carbonate one 12-oz bottle, with two drops fully carbonating a 22-oz bottle. Each package contains 60 drops, enough to bottle 6 gallons of beer. Coopers Brewery Carbonation Drops contain no additives, preservatives, fillers or binders. Just 100% ease in bottling.

It says to use 2 for a 22 oz bottle which is 650ml but thats only 3 oz difference so you're probubly ok....

I'd say do as others have said and let it carb up a bit more

or if your really jonesing to try it you could add a bit of club soda to the glass for some bubbles.......

I would think that it would take a little longer for the carb tabs to get used up by the yeast than corn sugar that has been boiled for a few minutes. The tabs first have to break down so the yeast can get to the all sugar contained which may take a while just sitting in a room temperature liquid.

Then the yeast have to eat the sugar which will take a little while longer. Just have patience and I imagine all will be well.

Back