Free keggerator.... but can I lay it on it's side to transport it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickme23

Reaction score
My grandma has a keggerator that will fit a Sanke or 4 Cornies, regulator, tap, faucet, and what I think might be a 20# C02 tank. She wants it out of her basement so it's free. But is it going to be safe to transport it 1000 miles on it's side or do I need to buy and install a light kit for my suv and take a trailer to load it on. The secondary purpose is to go pick up my little brother and bring him back with me. So I'm going to get most of the gas paid for and a free keggerator plus he's offering to do half the driving.

So to re-cap. Is it safe to transport an old fridge on it's side for a thousand miles?

If not, then is it safe to transport it on a trailer with some cushion underneath to absorb some of the shock of bouncing, for a thousand miles....

Free keggerator, free gas to go get it, 2 days of driving and 2000 miles put on my suv.

I'm no expert but I was always under the impression that as long as you let it sit for 24 hours after being on it's side prior to plugging it in it was fine.

I would say it is like and refrigerator.... you can lay it on its side to move it, but make sure it sits for 20 mins in the upright position before turning it on to let the coolant settle.

I'm no expert but I was always under the impression that as long as you let it sit for 24 hours after being on it's side prior to plugging it in it was fine.

I would say it is like and refrigerator.... you can lay it on its side to move it, but make sure it sits for 20 mins in the upright position before turning it on to let the coolant settle.

I've always heard variants of this from half an hour to a full day. If it is going that far though might as well play it safe and let it sit upright for a day or two before plugging it in. Better safe than sorry.

Sorry, I don't really have any answers to your questions, but have one of my own.

Your grandma has a kegerator?! Sounds like a cool lady!

Definitely leave it standing up for atleast a day or 2 before plugging it in. The oil needs a chance to settle back down into the compressor.

A couple of hours will generally be enough time for the oil to settle back into the compressor, but give it a day, just to make sure.

Granny must have upgraded to something that will hold more that 4 cornies, huh?

More to your question, I was looking at some Kegerators at BJ's wholesale club and noticed that they were all shipped on their sides on the pallet. I don't think they'd ship that way if it were a problem.

I purchased a new fridge a few months ago and had to transport it on its side to get home. The sales manager said that the general rule of thumb is to leave the unit upright for twice as long as it was laying down before plugging it in. I would think that a day or two in its new home before plugging it in is good.

I'm doing a turnaround trip I've already calculated the cost in gas Saturday and Sunday not two days of lost work. I've already thought it all through. Thanks for the concern though.

Back