End of the year last chance sale of Corny's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBeemer

Reaction score
The CHI Company has a one more sale on corny's that will end in two days.
A 4 pack in a single box for $76, $19 each before shipping, tax if your in California. They sell in 1, 2, 4, 8, 12, 20 packs and a pallet full. The 4 packs are cheaper than the other denominations offered.
Matt wants them gone as the company manufactures stainless barrels for
the wineries. Their corny inventory is about all gone. These corny's come cleaned and under low pressure, clean with few dings if any and not bashed up leftovers. The rubber ends are like new not coming apart plus they sell complete "O" ring kits for $8 more.
Call Matt at CHI Company in northern Calif. (530) 622-8265 before he splits for the new years. Just a heads up if your still looking for extra corny's nows the last chance why pay your LHBS as they buy in bulk from CHI then jack up the prices. Had to pass this along again, i'm not related to CHI just a happy owner of 20 clean clean corny's from CHI.
Have a safe New Years with suds everyone.

Isn't that rumor going around every so often? I kinda doubt the overall cornie supply is running out anytime soon.

Well, they aren't making any more on a *large* scale now that Pepsi US no longer uses them, so there's the supply/demand thing.

Plus the prices at LHBSs and B3 are definitely higher than I remember a year ago.

But I really hope I'm just paranoid and you're right, Dan.
-keith

CHI (so I've been told) bout all the corporate cornies- that said, most Pepsi distributors are franchises that are privately owned, hence forth have their own cornies. I don't see a shortage from CHI selling out (IE adventures in Home Brewing - $17.99).

The price of stainless is up, and there is a limited supply of cornies, so there probably will be a slow increase in cost...

The worldwide economic slowdown has hit metals pretty hard.

IIRC, the Chinese were buying up most of the scrap stainless and they were hit really hard.

Actually, I do need some more kegs, but just don't have the money right now.

TBH, I'll be glad to see them go.

Once cornies are gone then it will be easier to make the switch to Sicth Barrel Sanke kegs. Right now, for me, I either have to buy a full keg and not return it (I haven't done that) or pay an outrageous price for a recon keg from places like Sabco.

Sankey kegs will *NEVER* be as cheap or plentiful as the Corny kegs.

Beer vs soda sales - beer doesn't even come close, so there were MANY more cornys made during their heyday.

Construction costs - the thin-wall Cornys topped with rubberized caps are definitely cheaper to make than the thick-walled all-stainless Sankey kegs.

I like Sankeys - my HLT and BK are converted kegs, and there isn't a commercial pot out there that has thicker stainless walls - definitely not for the money! And when I get back to the States, I will pick up a few for fermentation, possibly even for serving.

But you will never see a 4-pack of sixth-barrel Sankeys for under $80 unless they're unusably damaged.

Long live the Corny, I say!
-keith

Also bear in mind that some of the smaller soda companies are still using cornys, specifically in this area, RC cola

Beer vs soda sales - beer doesn't even come close, so there were MANY more cornys made during their heyday.

Construction costs - the thin-wall Cornys topped with rubberized caps are definitely cheaper to make than the thick-walled all-stainless Sankey kegs.

I like Sankeys - my HLT and BK are converted kegs, and there isn't a commercial pot out there that has thicker stainless walls - definitely not for the money! And when I get back to the States, I will pick up a few for fermentation, possibly even for serving.

But you will never see a 4-pack of sixth-barrel Sankeys for under $80 unless they're unusably damaged.

-keith

umm beer is the number one selling beverage in the world including the US

China I know of and I believe Taiwan will be making knock-off corny's to sell back to the states. I posted before that Oz and Turkey purchased 5,000 corny's not that long ago. Other Asian countries use them for food and water storage and glad to have them. I got a southern California winery shipping order tag for 20 corny's so they ship wine in bulk saving on bottle costs to their larger restaurant customers.
As I posted before LHBS are purchasing them in volume as supplies run out so that they can ask and get their high prices making a quick easy profit. This might mean something about the future supply and demand of corny's. They must also know more what's going on with the future of corny's than the above replies about there will be plenty around. Rather safe than sorry I got mine.

I also agree on thicker kegs vs pots as posted above their prices also have gone up. Even on ebay the price is going up for a 15.5 plus shipping makes them rather expensive. Many LHBS places in my area do not have 15.5 kegs available at all, six for six I called last month. Oh very few had used corny's with high asking prices, they had new corny's for $129 before tax and used for $48 if available such a deal.
I'm was just trying to help others as I have been talking with Matt for over 7 months now as they just finished up purchasing and taking apart the last Pespi corny assembly line plant. Now syurp in a bag like wine in a box one way toss 'em. Money saved on one item or many items extends my buying power for other needed brewing items. I rather buy when cheap and available. After selling my first and second brew system I was not going to be caught without future kegs or corny's. This time with the crazy market I refuse to be ripped off later with new higher asking prices. I've seen a lot of banged up corny's I wouldn't have as a gift and they look you in the eye with a straight face with their high asking prices. Every one from CHI i'm proud to own they're that clean and dent free.

Sabco's one corny used with new seals $40, 4 pack $149 shipping not included. Sabco has a 15.5 keg with just a 12" lid cut for $99.99 before shipping.
Keg connection used corny $29 each, used corny with rubber ends loose $24 each again shipping not included.
My shipping was app $15 for a 4 pack of corny's of $76. I belive I did well collecting 20 on sale. More money saved for other brewing equipment. I do not have a disposable income like many being disabled besides it's against my way of thinking and building.

A coupe freebie return favor kegs should be coming my way soon I was told, yeah 9 months and waiting.
Weld up some piece of business equipment in a hurry free, so soon they forget the favor.

In storage now;
15.5 gallon, 10 in storage.
7.75 gallon, 3 in storage.
Pepsi ball locks CHI on sale price 20 of 'em.

One complete Coke pin lock corny that is slightly shorter and fatter hence does not fit in my single Pepsi corny refrigerator. This I would like to swap for a Pepsi corny that fits this little Pepsi corny refrigerator.

One odd Firestone 15.5 with rectangle blocks on the ends that should be swaped for a Anheuser Bush (like kind in quality I sent photos) but still waiting for the other party to return email for a straight shipping cost swap address only, been a month no reply and he wanted it within a month or two. Calif. to Mn. (Minnesota)? Was told should be upper $20's to ship UPS ground by this other HBT member. Scale said 30# 6 oz.
Done ranting have a safe drink at home New Years, no shotgun firing in the air, no can do in the city here. Cheers or rather SUDS everyone.

Also bear in mind that some of the smaller soda companies are still using cornys, specifically in this area, RC cola

The only corny's i've seen on the road here in the San Francisco bay area that last couple years is in the back of little white Ford Rangers that 7-UP
use and this is rare. Carpet companies use them for their spray cleaning solutions. I found one full of black powder this old timer was a rifle pistol powder shooter cast his own bullets. Strange a couple LHBS places want $130 for a 3 gallon corny, they smoking too much hops?

[citation needed]
I couldn't find anything on Google that either backed up your or my claims.
I based mine off of what's in most people's grocery carts - and it sure ain't beer.

If you have an authoratative source for your claims, I'd like to see 'em.

As I don't have one for mine, I am willing to concede. :mug:
-keith

Even if that's true, the majority of sales is cans, bottles, then half barrel kegs. I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a place where you could buy a corny full of beer.

"Isn't that rumor going around every so often? I kinda doubt the overall cornie supply is running out anytime soon."
--------------------------

Oh boy, here we go again.....
-Pepsi China has been buying 250,000 to 500,000 per year for the last 6 to 10 years.
-Pepsi & Coke began the migration to bag in box 15+ years ago.
-There are no more Soda Transfer Tanks (ball lock kegs, corny kegs, etc) in the Pepsi Corp. system in the western U.S. since we picked up their last ones and all their keg production line equipment.
-Most Pepsi plants are now Corporate plants for they have been buying the franchises back for years now. For example, there is only 1 independent in California now; there used to be 6! + corporate plants
-We estimate that (with the exception of FEEbay, C.L. and other ods & ends places), used kegs will be in the $50 range by the end of 2009, if not sooner.
-I hope this helps,

Matt
The CHI Company

-We estimate that (with the exception of FEEbay, C.L. and other ods & ends places), used kegs will be in the $50 range by the end of 2009, if not sooner.

Just as a reference, one of the LHBS here in Portland is selling single handled kegs for $55. OUCH!

-keith

Never said they'd be cheaper than Cornies. I only implied that once cornies are gone, demand for 1/6 BBL Sanke will likely go up, thus driving the current price down.

As it has already been said, there is little demand for Cornies in the commercial beverage market as a direct result of Alternative packaging. There are some customers still using Cornies in the US for Soda but most have switched to BIB. Other users are more obscure (homebrew for example).

Even if that's true, the majority of sales is cans, bottles, then half barrel kegs. I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a place where you could buy a corny full of beer.

My local package store have the 1/6th BBL Sankes all day long. But, like you I have never seen Commercially packaged beer in a Corny.

I spoke w/ the guy that sells the kegs this morning. (Oddly enough it’s the same guy that I bought my 2 door True kegorator from years ago) He has about 3000 left and that’s all there will be, for him anyway. Yes there being sent over seas by the boatload.

Just as a side note: The single handle kegs are the ones designated for Root Beer by Pepsi.
Cheers
JJ

Jaybird; sounds like you made contact with Matt at CHI a little while ago, did you get another order in on a 4 pack for $76? This at $19 a corny.
I bet the shipping alone from post #17 from Michigan to California in shipping alone would cost more than the $1.01 savings price of their cornys vs CHI's cost plus your only app 80 miles away for shipping to your place.
So Matt also said they are going over seas in large volumes. Others did not believe me on my past replies about the corny supply going away fast. When they see the higher prices LHBS will ask after they're gone then it's too late. I've got my 20, well plus a odd Coke pin lock that needs a home (swap for a Pepsi ball lock) that's enough corny's for my use. Did you get another 4 pack on order?
Be safe tonight and take care. Carl.....

I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a place where you could buy a corny full of beer.

In your dreams that deposit would be lost so fast if corny's became available.
What's a 15.5 kegs deposit going for these days? In my area people are talking about ordering and not returning 15.5 kegs as they can not find any cheaper than the deposit price for making keggles. Purchase and shipping is a deal killer. One minor problem, contents must be consumed first.

[citation needed]
I couldn't find anything on Google that either backed up your or my claims.
I based mine off of what's in most people's grocery carts - and it sure ain't beer.

If you have an authoratative source for your claims, I'd like to see 'em.

As I don't have one for mine, I am willing to concede. :mug:
-keith

Maybe the nation of Belgium where the percapita of bier drinking is higher than the Germans this might come close but myself can not believe this either.

Have you noticed how many Coke, Pepsi and other soft drinks these high school kids in the states drink daily? I have two and they can wipe out a 12 pack of Coke or Milk by the gallon daily.
Travel in a foreign countries like Morocco, Asia, Malaysia, China, Mexico my liquid intake was 100% bottled or canned bier including for brushing my teeth. Never been sick.

I was told a couple years ago there was a brewery in San Leandro Calif. only 6 miles from me that would fill your container or corny. There was a short time window, day of week or month that this was open for the public.

Jaybird; I thought I gave you everything about the CHI company a couple months ago besides days ago on your PM in your first reply question? I included the city of Diamond. Zip, and phone number. The company name and phone number I have posted many times openly many times on this forum for others about cheap available quality used corny's many times many months ago. For those that still don't believe all this sorry I do not know what to tell you. I tried to help other members on this forum and services Matt has offered to us.

Now even Matt from CHI under this forums name of mjc has replied at reply #15 this thread that they were going over seas. For those that still do not believe this what can be added when a reply from the man himself replies about his corny supply. Maybe you know more than Matt who's in the business, not likely I would bet. By the way thanks Matt you've helped me many times, what a great person and friend you've been to me. Carl in Alameda.

"Isn't that rumor going around every so often? I kinda doubt the overall cornie supply is running out anytime soon."
--------------------------

Oh boy, here we go again.....
-Pepsi China has been buying 250,000 to 500,000 per year for the last 6 to 10 years.
-Pepsi & Coke began the migration to bag in box 15+ years ago.
-There are no more Soda Transfer Tanks (ball lock kegs, corny kegs, etc) in the Pepsi Corp. system in the western U.S. since we picked up their last ones and all their keg production line equipment.
-Most Pepsi plants are now Corporate plants for they have been buying the franchises back for years now. For example, there is only 1 independent in California now; there used to be 6! + corporate plants
-I hope this helps,

Matt
The CHI Company

Thank you for the detailed response Matt! In case you posted this here before, I must have missed it. I hope you are wrong with your price estimate for the end of the year. ;)

Back