Fermentation Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rook

Reaction score
Normally I keep my beers in my unused upstairs bathroom tub that seems to stay at about 68-70 degrees. However we've had a few warm days and the temps got up to about 74 for 2 days in a row.

How does the warmer temp effect beer in different stages? I've heard that a fruity taste can come from warm fermentation temps, is a couple of days anything really to worry about?

My main reason for asking is that I'm going on a 2 week vacation coming up here in June, and I'm going to have a good amount of beer sitting there while I'm gone, it could get warm and I won't be home to move it anywhere, got any cool (har har) ideas?

Its not a big big issue unless its in the primary stage. If its about done fermenting I would'nt sweat it too bad. Although its not ideal to get it up to 74 if its not fermenting hard its not generating heat. You could turn the temp down in the house.....You could plug a fan in and wrap a T-shirt or something around the carboy, the theory is that it will draw water from the bathtub and the fan will cool it. I'm not sure what your brewing or what kind of yeast your using, how long are you going to be gone. I'd say your safe as long as your not in the primary stages. Before I learned this I brewed a 1.090 beer in the middle of the summer it got hot the yeast were going so hard it blew my lid off, and it tasted like bannana's. Ya it will throw weird flavors. But if its done or about done I would'nt worry, but I would keep it 70 if I could.

I would do your best to keep the beer under 70. I have a English Bitter that I fermented too high and it definitely has some fruity sweetness to it. The best way I could describe it is kind of like grape juice. It is not overpowering, and certainly doesnt ruin the beer...but it is not desirable at all.

Back