WLP720 and Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron1983

Reaction score
Well, a while ago I posted a question regarding my slow fermentation, it appears that my previously colder temperature was not the problem. For two days now my must has been at or around 70F.

The must has been quite carbonated every day I check, so everyday I've been giving it a good stir to degas. My worries lie with my gravity readings. My OG was 1.127 and for the last four days my SG has been 1.124 give or take 0.001.

I do have some Lalvin 1122 on the way. Is it time to give up on my WLP720 I pitched a week ago and pitch some 1122?

Post a full ingredient list and method/technique, then maybe somebody could take a punt at diagnosis.

Otherwise it's rather like asking "how longs a piece of string" ?

And from memory, wlp720 ? White labs sweet mead ? If so its tolerant to 15% alcohol and 71B is tolerant to 14% plus its competitive factor means its not likely to make a difference.

So maybe its a nutrients or acids/pH thing ? but cant say without more info.......

Post a full ingredient list and method/technique, then maybe somebody could take a punt at diagnosis.

Otherwise it's rather like asking "how longs a piece of string"?

And from memory, wlp720 ? White labs sweet mead ? If so its tolerant to 15% alcohol and 71B is tolerant to 14% plus its competitive factor means its not likely to make a difference.

So maybe its a nutrients or acids/pH thing ? but cant say without more info.......

My original post is here. It has my recipe and process used. I am certain the slow start was due to my temps, but what has been curious for me is the presence of carbonation, a lot of it. This indicates to me that something is happening, I am just hoping that I didn't wait too long to de-gas.

Back