Lager yeast Redux

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chairman Cheyco

***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
busmanray said:
could someone tell me what would happen if i used a lager yeast in a red ale recipe.but fermment in a cold basement of about 40-50 degrees.i would ferment in 2 stages for about 4 weeks.would it be like a red ale but only smoother?
thanks

Try again, and play nice.

thanks guys u have been a great help. heres my next question.which i asked but was never answered.
ive done everything we just talked about.its 4 or 5 weeks later,time to bottle
1-do i raise the temp back up to room temp
2-prime it then add more yeast
3-carb at room temp?or cold condition it
4-how long for best carbonation

You can always carb your beer at fermenation temps. As the beer is finished anyway you can also raise the temps a little higher and carb. Your carbonation rate depends on the available sugar and yeast combination left in your beer and the temperture you have it at.

After carbonation is finished then you store at a cool a temperture until drank.

1-do i raise the temp back up to room temp -> yes, for the diacetyl rest

2-prime it then add more yeast -> additional yeast won't be necessary, lots still available

3-carb at room temp?or cold condition it -> rooms temps, then lager as long as you like

4-how long for best carbonation -> a) How Long is a Chinaman, How Ling is his sister. Sorry, wrong discussion board b) a month works for me.

How can you tell if the diacetyl rest is complete? There's an easy “forcing” test that will only cost you a few ounces of beer. Pull a sample from your fermenter and split it into two covered containers. Refrigerate one and heat the other to 140°F for an hour, then taste them both. If they taste the same, you're ready to rack your beer out of the fermenter. If you can taste butter in the heated sample, your yeast is still at work, and you should give it another day or two.

Latest posts

Back