Different ways to add coffee and vanilla bean ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingfan13

Reaction score
So my plan is to brew a stout and add coffee and vanilla bean for flavoring. I was interested in hearing what ways you guys have done this because it will be my first brew using both.

Can I just brew the coffee and throw it into the primary ? Add it when moved to secondary ? How much ?

For the vanilla bean, how much ? What can I do to sanitize it ? When to add it ?

Thanks for the help. Trying to brew a vanilla, coffee stout and was wondering what others thought about how to do it.

I haven't done it myself yet, but a very popular way to add coffee to a beer is to cold brew it. You put the water and coffee in a container and keep it in the fridge overnight. It extracts flavor from the coffee while keeping oils to a minimum. Or so I've been told. Do a search and you'll find folks who swear by it.

For vanilla, I prefer to use beans, split and scraped and added at secondary (or just in primary if you don't secondary). How many is up to you. I use one in my double chocolate oatmeal snout recipe, but it doesn't really give me a detectable vanilla flavor. It just takes an edge off the chocolate. I've heard two is good for a subtle vanilla flavor.

I haven't done it myself yet, but a very popular way to add coffee to a beer is to cold brew it. You put the water and coffee in a container and keep it in the fridge overnight. It extracts flavor from the coffee while keeping oils to a minimum. Or so I've been told. Do a search and you'll find folks who swear by it.

For vanilla, I prefer to use beans, split and scraped and added at secondary (or just in primary if you don't secondary). How many is up to you. I use one in my double chocolate oatmeal snout recipe, but it doesn't really give me a detectable vanilla flavor. It just takes an edge off the chocolate. I've heard two is good for a subtle vanilla flavor.

So what about sanitization for the vanilla and coffee ? I assume for the coffe just sanitize the container, use bottled water and that's it.

For the vanilla bean, I assume just use a sanitized knife to scrape the beans.

Is there anything to worry about having both in during fermentation ?

So what about sanitization for the vanilla and coffee ? I assume for the coffe just sanitize the container, use bottled water and that's it.

For the vanilla bean, I assume just use a sanitized knife to scrape the beans.

Is there anything to worry about having both in during fermentation ?

I suppose you could soak the bean in a little bit of vodka. That would sanitize it for you

I just spray my bean, knife and cutting board with starsan before I cut and scrape the vanilla bean.

Is it ok to add the scraped vanilla beans after pitching the yeast or after flameout? Wouldnt it be better to extract flavor while it steeps before its cooled? Or is adding it to priming sugar when boiled before botteling good?

I dont care what anybody thinks im just gonna add my vannila beans the last part of the boil. And my beer is gonna like it! Aarrrrrrrggggg. nobody cares! take that beer! You like the vannilla beer? Yeah! Well take some of that! How you like it now!!?? ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

I dont care what anybody thinks im just gonna add my vannila beans the last part of the boil. And my beer is gonna like it! Aarrrrrrrggggg. nobody cares! take that beer! You like the vannilla beer? Yeah! Well take some of that! How you like it now!!?? ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Alright, how many beers tonight ? Let me know how it turns out. My Stout has now turned into a vanilla, coffee pecan stout.

Alright, how many beers tonight ? Let me know how it turns out. My Stout has now turned into a vanilla, coffee pecan stout.

Only 4 but i got sent to my computer without supper!:( Hope mine turns out gonna add it last of boil. I love vanilla. so if its big vannilla thats what i get. IM just gonna take the risk, vanilla is my friend.:drunk: yeah im doin a oatmeal vanilla probably some cocoa and some maple to prime stout,im just gonna go nuts..

Any suggestions as to how long I should have my beer in the secondary with the vanilla and coffe grounds ? I plan on just grinding the beans, scraping the vanilla and adding both to the secondary. I am just not sure how long I should let it be in the secondary for.

Back