Can I pitch more yeast after 2 weeks of fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaksatyava

Reaction score
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciateed. Made a 12 gallon batch of amber ale with an OG OF 1.067. I used wlp001 that I collected and saved from December last year. Started the yeast on a stir plate the night before and seemed fine as it took off pretty well. Added oxygen to the wort after chilling.
However, the bubbling did not start until 36 hrs. But, when the bubbling started, it went on for 3 days. What came as a surprise to me is that, I did not see any foam formation whatsoever.
The FG came our to 1.030 while I was expecting it to be 1.015.

So my dilema... Should I start another batch of yeast and re-pitch to finish off the fermentation? I am 2 weeks into fermentation already.

Has the gravity been at 1.030 for 3-days straight, or was that just the last measurement you took? Are you fermenting near the bottom threshold of the yeast? What about possibly raising the temperature slightly?

It's been at 1.030 for last 5 days. It's not fermenting any more. Maintained a temp of 69deg during fermentation. If re-pitching does help, should I live with what I have. The beer still has a sweet taste to it. Not really happy about that.

you can try a repitch but I'd suggest making a big starter and pitching it at high krausen when it's fully active.

The result was fruitful. I managed to achieve a FG of 1.01 from the mid gravity of 1.03.
Thanx everyone for your insight.

aaksatyava
How long did you let it ferment after pitching in the new yeast ? to obtain the desired FG.
I am stuck with the same situation. I am pitching in the new yeast today.

Back