RIMS vs HERMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
The basics: Single tier, 3-keg batch sparging operation using a single March pump with a bunch of quick disconnects.

I plan on recirculating my mash no matter what. I just like the idea of a nice constant temp throughout and the pump will be connected anyway. I have two burners as of now and a non-used coil of copper so I'm closer to a HERMS at this point, but I don't mind the extra work/expense of an additional burner.

Another reason I was leaning towards HERMS is that I also plan on trying a reverse immersion chilling in the HLT. I figure if I have a HERMS coil in the HLT already, I might as well dump ice water in there and pump the wort through the coil.

Perhaps the best choice would be to set the system up with 3 burners and experiment with either method.

You still might want the 3rd burner to heat your strike water in your MLT. Sure is nice. Then you can use the HERMS to maintain temp/step as needed. I like the idea of reusing the HERMS coil during chilling, too.

Pick up the third burner. If you are going to do a herms or rims system, heating your strike water and your HLT at the same time will make things go much faster and smoother. I occasionally set up my rims system for step mashes and will keep the HLT a few degrees warmer than the mash. The extra burner makes setting it all up much easier without having to wait for the HLT to cool back down after heating strike water.

Back