Does any beer get exported from Africa?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael_Currie

Reaction score
I have never seen an African made beer, wine yes, beer no. Maybe I am just missing it? Any suggestions?

Michael_Currie said:
I have never seen an African made beer, wine yes, beer no. Maybe I am just missing it? Any suggestions?

I don't know if they are made in Africa, but there is
Casablanca which comes from Morocco. I've had others but i can't think of any off the top of my head right now.

Bhahhaaaha............ check this post is allmost as old as me!!

Black lable is the only thing I can see, that is available in canada.......and there "beer advocate" says its scunky

Fancy meeting another Afrikaner here :) Sad that Black Label is our only export beer, what about Windhoek Larger?

There was a beer here not too long ago that was a South African Beer. It wasn't very good. The top was all sticky and was oxodized from the trip over here. It had an elephant on it.

I had several good local made beers when traveling on business in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. They were somewhat like a Mexican lager. Have not seen them in the states though.

You can get Tusker at Foodery in Philadelphia, I am pretty sure they have other African beers too.

Fancy meeting another Afrikaner here :) Sad that Black Label is our only export beer, what about Windhoek Larger?

ooo ja windhoek.......must be
but it does seem that we are isolated as far a beer tast goes ?

There was a beer here not too long ago that was a South African Beer. It wasn't very good. The top was all sticky and was oxodized from the trip over here. It had an elephant on it.

I think it might be this tuskers as mentioned belowhttp://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/822/2563
and basicaly describe most african/ south african beers

You can get Tusker at Foodery in Philadelphia, I am pretty sure they have other African beers too.

I remember trying to find Windhoek Lager in the US after visiting Namibia, and I think the only place it was available was on the Northwest coast. I've always been able to get Black Label in Minnesota too. Never seen Tafel though.

When I was in Africa, I drank some Tusker in Kenya and we got some South African beer, Oranjeboom, I believe. That was long enough ago ('64) that I don't even know if those are around any more.

Update: Decided to go check it out, and evidently Tusker is alive & well (East Africa Breweries, Ltd.) and is exported to the UK. But memory failed me with the Oranjeboom....either that or I had some, but have forgotten its origins. It's actually a Dutch brew.

There's an Ethiopian joint in Milwaukee that has Bedel, St. Georges and Castel (all Ethiopian) and Tusker (Kenya). All are pale lagers or czech-style lagers. Tusker's largest shareholder is InBev. Castel and St. Georges have a French parent company. Bedel is owned by Heineken.

I've had Bedele at an Ethipian Restaurant. Standard lightly hopped lager with adjunct if I remember correctly.

When I was in Africa, I drank some Tusker in Kenya and we got some South African beer, Oranjeboom, I believe. That was long enough ago ('64) that I don't even know if those are around any more.

Update: Decided to go check it out, and evidently Tusker is alive & well (East Africa Breweries, Ltd.) and is exported to the UK. But memory failed me with the Oranjeboom....either that or I had some, but have forgotten its origins. It's actually a Dutch brew.

I stand corrected. Not South African, but Kenyan. It was Tusker. Was a very grainy hay tasting light lager if I remember. Cold on tap in the middle of the desert though and I'd pay and arm and a leg.

There's an Ethiopian joint in Milwaukee that has Bedel, St. Georges and Castel (all Ethiopian) and Tusker (Kenya). All are pale lagers or czech-style lagers. Tusker's largest shareholder is InBev. Castel and St. Georges have a French parent company. Bedel is owned by Heineken.

Dont know about that,.........but check this out

http://www.sabmiller.com/index.asp?pageid=180

You can buy Castle Lager in several countries in Europe, as well as Australia. South African liquor outlets don't import much American beer. Almost 90% of all beer imports are European or from the East, to be fair we don't see much African stuff either...it's incredibly difficult to even get Zambezi, which comes from our neighbor!

You can buy Castle Lager in several countries in Europe, as well as Australia. South African liquor outlets don't import much American beer. Almost 90% of all beer imports are European or from the East, to be fair we don't see much African stuff either...it's incredibly difficult to even get Zambezi, which comes from our neighbor!

the funny thing is that SABmiller ( a south african co. ) owns or collaberate with most of the brands that the people over there drink?

I used to live in the western cape of South Africa for a while, and you can buy Castle and Windhoek Lager at a few places in the states.

Back