Cornelius Keg Leaks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdlev

Reaction score
The lid leaks under very low pressure (like serving beer pressure). I hear there is some lube that you are supposed to put on the o rings...what is it and where can i get it? Will it stop a slow leak?

Did you try blasting it with 30+ lbs of pressure to get it to seal then bleed the pressure down to serving pressure? I have a few kegs that even with lube they will leak around the lid until I pump the psi to 30 for a a few seconds then i can lower the pressure and they won't leak.

Sometime I will replace the big O rings and see if that fixes it altogether.

also flipping the lid around 180 degrees will often help it seat correctly, using the Keg lube or Vaseline is a good idea too.

Thanks for the idears...i'll give them all a shot!

Luckily, I have 2 kegs...the sierra is being carbonated as of Saturday night, and will hopefully be ready for this weekend!

I had my first experience kegging not too long ago.

Got it loaded with OxyClean and hot water and put the top on to give it a shake. Immediately I noticed bubbles coming out of it. Flipped the lid, it still did it. One more time, did it again. Kept at it with sometimes better results and sometimes worse results.

Decided to give it a solid blast of CO2 to see what happens....

Boom....immediate seal. The keg just requires a few psi to seal up.

pressure on the seal can also be achieved by adjusting the lever lock for a tighter fit, by bending it, or adding a shim.. like closing it with each of the fingers of the lever lock on popsicle sticks.

I have found that my corny kegs really want the gas post to be to the right side as you pull the clamp towards you to lock the lid on. Things don't fit as well the other way around. Also it is good to have a standard orientation, so when you look at the keg you know which side is gas and which side is liquid without having to think about it.

Back