15.5 Gal BayouBrewKettle...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willatkinson

Reaction score
Added my valve, therm., and diptube today... Built the diptube for 4 dollars... was pretty proud.

Waiting patiently for Ron's Hardware to ship my Camco 5500W 240V Ripp Element. They are rediculously slow, especially considering the amount they charge for shipping.

(sorry for the phone pics...)

IMG00064-20100716-1224.jpg

GetAttachment.jpg

All I do is extract and partial grain... Time and Space are against me at the moment. Considered building all electric Brutus, but the wife wouldn't let me splurge the cash on brewing beer. I also thought about trying his Brutus20, but that's an argument for another thread.

Well, the good thing about what you are building is that it is very usable if you decide to go big later. :mug:

That was the thought. I figure I'll never do more than 10 gal batches, so these pots should last forever.

That was the thought. I figure I'll never do more than 10 gal batches, so these pots should last forever.

Mine are 25 brews old or so...more on the brew kettle...no real problems thus far. I can tell they aren't exactly bulletproof, but I doubt anything really is when you have that much liquid in it.

What made you guys go for the BayouClassic pots over the instawares SS "megapots"? The latter actually seem to be thicker, and possibly cheaper.

What made you guys go for the BayouClassic pots over the instawares SS "megapots"? The latter actually seem to be thicker, and possibly cheaper.

http://morebeer.com/view_product/6615/103457/Heavy_Duty_Brew_Kettle_60_Quart_15_Gallon
$179
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VXD94A/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
$112
Both free ship.

Other reasons include the shape of my old brew setup, the megapots wouldn't fit as they are very wide. These are closer to the shape of boilermakers.

These pots are sometimes 20gauge SS and sometimes 18. Mega/Polar/Blich are all 18. At least with my pots, I have not noticed this to be a con.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://morebeer.com/view_product/6615/103457/Heavy_Duty_Brew_Kettle_60_Quart_15_Gallon
$179
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VXD94A/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
$112
Both free ship.

Other reasons include the shape of my old brew setup, the megapots wouldn't fit as they are very wide. These are closer to the shape of boilermakers.

These pots are sometimes 20gauge SS and sometimes 18. Mega/Polar/Blich are all 18. At least with my pots, I have not noticed this to be a con.

I thought shape would be an issue...it is for a lot of people. The only reason why I asked is because I labored over the decision myself. This is what I was talking about: Instawares sells the unmodified megapots:http://www.instawares.com/stainless-steel-stock-pot-sps-60.upi-sps60.0.7.htm I don't recommend paying fuul price for one unless you want no DIY at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks somewhat familiar...

Brew-Day-001.jpg

This your HLT? Or are you using hop bags?

They look great. Are you happy with them? I looking to buy three, I have considered kegs, and mega pots. But these look like they might do the job. If the mega pot wider dimensions are such an issue with mashing I wonder why more beer features them for their brew sculptures. Any one want to elaborate? I currently use a ten gallon mega pot to boil five gallon batches and I think the quality is impeccable. I'm looking to upgrade to 15 gallon pots/converted kegs to go to ten gallon batches on a Brutus system and I would like some feed back on the pros and cons of the different options available.

I just installed the Camco 5500w element... just waiting on a 1" nut & o-ring to secure it. JCAV, if you decide on the Bayou Classic, let me know. I can probably get you a great deal on them. I think the main pro of the Bayou Classic is the price, and you that you are still getting stainless steel. They will be thinner than Megapot (I'm pretty sure), and the handles are flimsier, but that won't really matter if you are doing a brutus as you won't be lifting full pots.

I just installed the Camco 5500w element... just waiting on a 1" nut & o-ring to secure it. JCAV, if you decide on the Bayou Classic, let me know. I can probably get you a great deal on them. I think the main pro of the Bayou Classic is the price, and you that you are still getting stainless steel. They will be thinner than Megapot (I'm pretty sure), and the handles are flimsier, but that won't really matter if you are doing a brutus as you won't be lifting full pots.

Wow! That is very nice of you. I am still deciding and I will get back to you on that. Your alright!:rockin:

Sometimes they are thinner, sometimes not. Not sure how to tell for sure which gauge you are getting.

The handles do suck a bit. A little JB Weld would solve any issue there though. You can easily pick up a full pot, even without, it just doesn't give you a good feeling while you do.

I like the pots, the only time I second guess my purchase is when I question going 20+ gal instead!

Bayou Brew Kettle's website says all their brewpots are 18gauge. I wonder if they don't make them with 20 gauge anymore?

I bought the 62qt off amazon last week and it arrives today. I guess i'll find out if the pots are 18 or 20 gauge by end of day :)

Will be interested to see your follow up boogy. I looked again at the website and they say that their pots are "commercial quality 18/8 gauge stainless steel". Problem is 18/8 is not a gauge it is a grade. I also doubt that these pots have the layer of aluminum as I would expect that to increase the price a bit. Boogy could you (or anyone else) report your opinion of the quality of the base of the pot, if it feels flimsy to you at all.

Will be interested to see your follow up boogy. I looked again at the website and they say that their pots are "commercial quality 18/8 gauge stainless steel". Problem is 18/8 is not a gauge it is a grade. I also doubt that these pots have the layer of aluminum as I would expect that to increase the price a bit. Boogy could you (or anyone else) report your opinion of the quality of the base of the pot, if it feels flimsy to you at all.

Yea. Should get delivered sometime this afternoon. I'll check it out when I get home from work.

I think they start with 18 gauge steel, but depends on the pot what you end up with. They definitely do NOT have aluminum.

So, the 62qt bayou arrived today :) It's definitely not as "solid" as the 8gal stainless pot that I'm upgrading from. The old pot had multiple layers on the base; the bayou pot is just a regular pot.. wall and base thickness are the same. However, according to my caliper, the wall thickness is about the same on my old "solid" pot and the new bayou.

I don't plan on banging around the bayou pot like I did with the old one, but because I won't be moving it much, the quality should be fine. If I were going to be banging it around, I would bet the bayou pot would get a dent long before my old pot.

So, the 62qt bayou arrived today :) It's definitely not as "solid" as the 8gal stainless pot that I'm upgrading from. The old pot had multiple layers on the base; the bayou pot is just a regular pot.. wall and base thickness are the same. However, according to my caliper, the wall thickness is about the same on my old "solid" pot and the new bayou.

I don't plan on banging around the bayou pot like I did with the old one, but because I won't be moving it much, the quality should be fine. If I were going to be banging it around, I would bet the bayou pot would get a dent long before my old pot.

You must remember though, that all things being equal, the smaller pot will be stronger. Corners being near brings more strength than tri-clad or 2 steps up in gauge. All of the pot makers have trouble with their really big stuff.

You must remember though, that all things being equal, the smaller pot will be stronger. Corners being near brings more strength than tri-clad or 2 steps up in gauge. All of the pot makers have trouble with their really big stuff.

Makes sense. I'm definitely happy with my purchase.. I've already installed the sight glass; the ball valve will go in tomorrow, and the thermometer arrives at the end of the week :)

Thanks for the follow up. Still sounds like the way to go to me as long as you don't abuse your equipment.

Back