Doubling extract batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CidahMastah

Reaction score
Are there any tricks to doubling extract batches? Will it cause any issues to the final product?

Just got my 15 gallon megapot and am considering doing a double Amarillo IPA batch.

Thanks!

Open calculator and hit x 2 :D

Nothing much you need to be concerned with. Figure out your evaporation rate with your new pot ahead of time, because that won't necessarily double along with everything else.

Make sure you're using plenty of yeast, and have a good way of getting oxygen in there before pitching.

Are you going to be fermenting in one big vessels or splitting into two 5gal buckets/carboys?

Ha - thanks!

*gets out calculator...* :)

I am debating over the carboy thing - I could go two carboys or one demijohn (14.25 gallon fermenter).

I planned on using washed yeast and making a beefy starter, or two starters if I go with two carboys.

You recc the combined or the two separate approach?

Good point on the evaporation rate - I think it will be much more than before due to the 18 inch diameter versus my previous 14 or so diameter.

CidahMastah said:
Ha - thanks!

*gets out calculator...* :)

I am debating over the carboy thing - I could go two carboys or one demijohn (14.25 gallon fermenter).

I planned on using washed yeast and making a beefy starter, or two starters if I go with two carboys.

You recc the combined or the two separate approach?

Good point on the evaporation rate - I think it will be much more than before due to the 18 inch diameter versus my previous 14 or so diameter.

You'll get (slighty) "different" fermentations with the two options, but I don't think one is inherently better or worse than the other. If you're trying to precisely match a recipe you've been doing for a long time in 5gal vessels, split them; if this is a new recipe or if you don't care about a perfect match, do whatever strikes you as easier.

That was sort of my take. That going with one large batch, would possibly have slight implications on the turnout. (I have done this batch before)

A thought crossed my mind that the fermentation temperatures would be different due to the doubled volume of the liquid. All the heat generated from fermentation might actually cause a higher temp in the fermentation.

I think I will go for two carboys, under the philosphy of KISS (keep it simple stupid)

Even if there is no real noticable effect, lugging the 14.25 gallon demijohns is a real PITA.

Thanks

Back