Thoughts on different priming sugars?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsuarez

Reaction score
Most of the time I prime my bottles with corn sugar. I was considering priming my next batch with pale extract. What are the pro's and con's of corn sugar vs. extract priming?

I used regular cane sugar once, and while it got the job done, I don't think it gave the beer as much of a "real beer" carbonation as corn sugar.

I've always used corn sugar, some like to use extract, but even some of them will admit that there really isn't much of a difference as far as flavor goes.

I used regular cane sugar once, and while it got the job done, I don't think it gave the beer as much of a "real beer" carbonation as corn sugar.

I have been using table sugar for the last several batches; I noticed no difference (other than being more readily available, easier to measure, and less expensive). I use 5% less sucrose by weight than dextrose.

Personally I think that using DME gives you a better head. I dont know how to explain it, but beers I bottle with DME seems to have finer bubbles and a better head.

However, even though I rarely bottle, I don't think I am going to use DME anymore. I find that there are too many fermentability issues even when staying within the same brand. Too hard to get the exact amount of carbonation that I want.

in my experience DME gives smaller bubbles than corn sugar hence a creamier head.

at a 1 1/4 cup (disolved in 16 oz of water) of dme even the dark extract doesn't effect color of 5 gal. and definetly not enough to change flavor. Haven't noticed any flavor or body difference in using a 1/2 cup of corn sugar to prime.

Back