What to pitch onto Hefeweizen Yeast Cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fedagentbeer

Reaction score
I'm going to keg 10 gallons of hefeweizen this weekend and would really like to use the Yeast Cakes left in the buckets (2) 5 gallon buckets). Anybody know of a good recipe or style of beer that would work well on the yeast cakes left over from my White Labs 300 Hefeweizen yeast cakes?

The yeast cakes are left over after a batch of Edworts "Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen". Could I re-pitch the yeast to make the same recipe again? How would I go about doing it to avoid off flavors and over pitching?

Thanks!

At the very least I would wash the yeast. That will remove the dead yeast cells which will be important for a hef yeast. They tend to live fast and die hard when compared to other yeasts

Roggenbier- the overpitch will mute some of the yeast character. But really, you should wash that yeast and make a new starter with fresh healthy cells.

Latest posts

Back