Grolsch Brown vs. Green Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultravista

Reaction score
How much of a difference is there between brown Grolsch bottles and green?

Considering I don't plan on storing my beer in the sun, is there any advantage of brown vs. green? I imagine a large brewery as Grolsch would not purposfuly put their beer in peril by going green.

Since brown's are no longer in production, Grolsch green is the only bottle now-a-days.

Does anyone have bad experiences bottling in green?

Nope, but as you already pointed out it does not block as much light as dark browns do. There are even a few clear corona's/newcastle in the empty stock. These are kept for the early samplers though.

How much of a difference is there between brown Grolsch bottles and green?

Considering I don't plan on storing my beer in the sun, is there any advantage of brown vs. green? I imagine a large brewery as Grolsch would not purposfuly put their beer in peril by going green.

Since brown's are no longer in production, Grolsch green is the only bottle now-a-days.

Does anyone have bad experiences bottling in green?

You would think that they wouldnt put their beer in harms way, but look at companies that put their beer in CLEAR bottles.

From what I have read, brown bottles block out harmful light. I guess if you are planning on leaving your beer in the dark until you drink it, green woudl be fine.

I imagine a large brewery as Grolsch would not purposfuly put their beer in peril by going green.

I heard the reason for this is back in the day there was a shortage of brown glass/bottles in Europe for a period. So they bottle the beer in green bottles because some beer is better than no beer, this then was exported and in the countries that was importing the European beer green bottle became the "way" of telling if a beer was imported (i.e. spaciel because it has been on a boat!)
Now people think green bottles = good beer due to the old association with beer from Europe coming in green bottles (only because they had to).

I may be wrong but it's a good story!

I heard a different story about green bottles but I like the above posters better. I was told that they bottle in green bottles to intentionally skunk the beer because that is a flavor they are looking for in those beers. They certainly taste skunky whenever I drink them, whether that is their intention or not, I have no idea.

But I bottle my apfelwein's in Grolsch swingtops and haven't had any problems. But I don't let them sit in the light either.

I use green and clear bottles because that is what I can get for free. I do have a few brown bottles but I have never had a problem. Of course I store them in a basement room with no windows, and then straight to the fridge. You could always also put them in a black trash bag (just in case).

I've done both (I have some brown Grolsch bottles from waaaay back =]), and my beer ''bottle ages'' in artifical light for about 50% of the time. I've never noticed a difference between the two.

I bottle my batches half in grolsch for home consumption only and half in brown pry offs. There is never a difference in taste. Some of my grolsh bottles are brown but I actually prefer the green ones because of the seal that is on them. The brown bottles I have are sporting the ****ty soft rubber replacements and they just suck basically.

I bought a case of Grolsch (24 bottles) for $1.95 each from a local beer distributor. I think it's a hellova deal considering they are full; well, at least 23 of them still are.

Back