Apple Juice Brands at Sobey's? (Canada)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dog

Reaction score
Hi. :)

I was wondering what brands of apple juice are available at the Canadian grocery store Sobey's that are good for making cider, cheaply.

Apparently the Compliments brand Organic Apple Juice is $3.49 for 1.36L. I have seen people talking about buying juice suitable for fermenting at closer to $1/L, but I don't know which brands are that cheap.

I can't seem to find any prices on Sobey's website, except for weekly flyer deals.

Anyone have any ideas?

I don't think Sobey's is the best place to find cheap apple juice. But they do have a nice organic apple juice. I can't remember what it is called though.

Well that's disappointing. There are no Walmarts or Costcos within walking distance and I don't have a car.

I was hoping to make cheap prison wine without going all the way and just making a sugar wash.

What about frozen juice concentrates, are they usually cheaper?

Sobeys is not cheap, but go check it out. There is a really nice organic cider in a one gallon glass jug, but its something like 12$
Concentrate is cheaper, usually under a dollar a can

When you say Sobey's isn't cheap, what are you comparing it to? The big bulk stores?

Walmart, superstore, Costco, even save on has better prices on somethings. I find sobeys to be one of the most expensive grocery stores in town.

Thanks.

Are there any extra considerations when using frozen concentrate as opposed to juice? I guess just boil/sanitize enough water to make up the difference and dump it in?

Thanks.

Are there any extra considerations when using frozen concentrate as opposed to juice? I guess just boil/sanitize enough water to make up the difference and dump it in?

Check the ingredients, make sure it doesn't have any sorbate in it. Other then that you'll be fine.

Just don't expect amazing cider from a concentrate...

However, if you find that organic cider on sale, consider it. It'll make an awesome cider

Price Chopper, No Frills and FreshCo usually have 1.12l cans of Rougemont and Allens 100% Juice NOT from concentrate on the end racks for .99c a can. I used 21 cans for my first Caramel Apple cider and it's stellar. That was the Allen's. best $21.00 I ever spent.

Keep your eyes peeled, I have seen Allen's and Rougemont in 100% not from concentrate before. Just depends what they get delivery of.

Back