carbonating stout.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajake83

Reaction score
Im almost to the bottling stage of my pumpkin stout, I was wondering if while in bottles would it carbonate at 68 deg opposed to 70. I hopeful to have some for christmas.

It will carb at any temperature, it will just take a bit longer at the lower temperature. It could be ready by Christmas, but you can never tell for sure since each beer is different. What was your OG and FG for this one? That will also make a difference.

The OG was 1.052 and the last sample I tested was 1.021 in secondary it has a ton of trub at the bottom. Is that also normal for second stage?

ajake83 said:
The OG was 1.052 and the last sample I tested was 1.021 in secondary it has a ton of trub at the bottom. Is that also normal for second stage?

How long did you wait to rack to secondary? Did you make are to reach FG in primary?

Maybe? I forgot to take a reading just banking on the assumption 8 days in primary was plenty. I screwed up and that's half my concern. Im going to let it sit for 2 more days and sample check again. If what my thought on FG is, I need to wait until my hydrometer stops dropping. I want to find a book for the basic protocol and procedures. The one that came with my starter is extremely vague.

If you put real pumpkin in it you are going to have a ton of trub. Don't bottle it till at least 3 weeks after you brewed it.

Its a "brewers best" recipe not real pumpkin. Cinnamon spice and nutmeg I believe. I don't have a wine thief or a turkey baster yet due to just buying my house. So I used my siphon and in side it had a ton of bubbles. Ill assume again fermentation needs more time...

Back