Irish Ale Aroma?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cougfan

Reaction score
I just brewed 10 gallons of an Irish Stout. In one carboy, I put WLP02 (English) and in the other, I put WLP04 (Irish). This is the first time I have used WLP04 and it has a poor aroma. I can't put my finger on the exact smell, but I don't really like it. The weird thing is that I like the flavor moreso than the English batch. The Irish definitely has less body and is cleaner finishing. The English has more body (still good flavor).

Does WLP04 usually have an off aroma, or do you think that batch may have a slight infection? I would think that if it had an infection, I would be able to taste it as well.

How old is the beer?

I haven't used WLP004, but will be for the first time this weekend. I've used WLP002 quite a few times. Its a great yeast.

This is the yeast from one of the oldest stout producing breweries in the world. It produces a slight hint of diacetyl, balanced by a light fruitiness and slight dry crispness. Great for Irish ales, stouts, porters, browns, reds and a very interesting pale ale.
Attenuation: 69-74%
Flocculation: Medium to High
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 65-68°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium-High
This is the description off of the white labs website. The WLP04 produces a "dry" beer with a very light body. If you don't keep a close eye on you fermentation temps it will produce the diacetyl it mentions. But boy o boy do I LOVE Irish ales.

Latest posts

Back