Beer and Sweat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bearcat Brewmeister

Pour, Drink, Pee, Repeat
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Beer and Sweat homebrew competition is coming up August 18th in the Cincinnati area. It has been advertised in the past as the world's largest beer competition (by volume). Instead of entering 3 bottles, entries are 5 gallon cornies. There are typically 200 to 300 kegs entered. The competitors hook up their kegs in the afternoon, then judging occurs, and then the brewers return in the early evening and get to sample from all of the kegs in the competition. A live band plays, then winners are announced around 9pm and category winners get ballons tied to their taps (which causes them to get drained fairly quickly). It is quite the event, with homebrewers showing up from Ohio, Indiana, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Pennsylvania. Zymurgy did a nice write up in their Nov/Dec 2006 issue. If you have a keg available and wanted to check out Cincinnati in advance of Nationals next year, come on down and enjoy Beer and Sweat.

Glad that you put this up here I was just about to start a thread about it. Hope to see you there, us HBT'ers should figure out some way of identifing each other at things like this.

Cheers

Entry deadline has passed. The event is next weekend and there are 239 kegs entered. If any of you are remotely near Cincinnati the weekend of 8/18, you should try to stop by and sample the entries. A good time is guaranteed.

Oh Yeah i got mine in!!!!!!! I will be there bright and early. Are you judging or anything for the event? I will just be hanging out, did you enter anything? I entered a double dry hopped pale, it is going to be dry hopped in the keg the day before the comp. We should find a way to meet up there.

Cheers

I will be volunteering at the raffle table or possibly registration Saturday morning from 10 to noon. I got three beers in, APA, Porter, and Scotch Ale. My APA was dry hopped in the secondary and it now has 3 giant tea balls full of hops in the keg. The APA and Scotch Ale are modifications of recipes I entered last year - both took 3rd in their category (click on my recipes).

Also scored a sweet Newcastle bar mirror in the raffle last year. Almost made the lady behind the raffle table cry - she was hoping it would go unclaimed and she could snag it for herself.

hey Bearcat, are you in a local club?

I'm the newsletter editor/minister of propaganda for BBL. would I know you?

Yep, I'm a bit new to the club, but you would probably know me. I'll give you a clue:

Wood bugs

We talked during Iron Brewer too. You told me a few months back about how you got your freezer off of Craigslist and last month I thanked you for the tip because I found one there too.

Just look at my picture in my profile if you need to jog your memory.

Pictures from the event Saturday night. About 250 beers on tap from homebrewers in a 6 state area.

BS5.jpg

BS1.jpg

BS2.jpg

Man what a good time that was, I am still recovering. I highly recommend that everyone who can attend this event next year!

Cheers and thanks for hosting such a great event!

Back