Bottling wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeanPot Brewery

Reaction score
I am about to bottle my wine - made from a 6-gallon kit.
The instructions say store for three months at near constant temp below 60 degrees.
Therein likes the problem.
My basement is probably in the 65-68 range, but kind of fluctuates.
I have a beer fridge I could clear out - have to store beer in garage...but I'm not sure if that would be too low a temp.

Any suggesitons would be appreciated.

Thanks!

As long as it stays in the 65-68 range and it's dark it'll be fine.

I'm glad you brought this up because I'm a newbie wine maker and I need to know what to do with my wine. I was wondering if I could store it in a cooler place once the finings were added. I need to get it out of the utility room before SWMBO clobbers me.
Is it OK to store wine in a cool location before it is bottled?

I've been making wine for over ten years and have never seen a kit that requires putting it in cold storage. It might speed the clearing action, but even the cheapest wine kits really benefit from extended aging. What's the rush? Room temperature is fine for all stages of wine making.

Mikey said:
I've been making wine for over ten years and have never seen a kit that requires putting it in cold storage. It might speed the clearing action, but even the cheapest wine kits really benefit from extended aging. What's the rush? Room temperature is fine for all stages of wine making.

This is what I've been waiting to hear. I recently bottled my first wine kit and read the same thing as BeanPot--keep in storage below 60*F. I have one place that I ferment/store and that is the downstairs shower, which stays in the mid to low 70's. Since that is all I can do, if it does not turn out I can think of something else for the next batch.

With 10 years of experience and me being a new winemaker, I'll be watching for more posts from Mikey. :mug:

Thanks, all. I'm going to keep the bottles in the basement and not worry about it. The instructions did sound strange, which is why I figured I'd take the matter to the experts.
Thanks for the replies. Cheers.

RichBrewer said:
I'm glad you brought this up because I'm a newbie wine maker and I need to know what to do with my wine. I was wondering if I could store it in a cooler place once the finings were added. I need to get it out of the utility room before SWMBO clobbers me.
Is it OK to store wine in a cool location before it is bottled?

Sure, that's considered "bulk aging" and it's fine. You could keep it in the carboy under airlock for ages in the basement, and it would probably be better for it. Sometimes cooler temperatures can clear up a hazy wine, too.

Lorena

Back