Blowing the top?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerklein2

Reaction score
So my first brew has been in primary for about 24 hours now and fermentation has really picked up steam. I'm worried about blowing off the top on the 5 gallon carboy. It has filled to the top with krauzen and the airlock is starting to get some stuff in it. Should I do anything to relieve the pressure? Or is the chance of making a mess pretty minimal?

Welcome to the wonderful world of active fermentation and blowoffs...you may want to rig a blow off tube up...you can do one witht he hose from your bottling wand and the center post of your airlock like this;

Airlockbo2.jpg

Ailockbo1.jpg

What Revvy said !!

Revvy - do you ever sleep? Here I was trying to find the link to your above thread because I thought you were asleep:D By the way, maybe you can add it in your profile somewhere cause I never did find it.

Is this an immediate need? Its 1030 tonight and I'm a bit buzzed and I dont think sanitizing the hose is on my to do list right now. Also, my hose is 6ft long and it might be a pain, but I may have some spare tubing laying around from when I fixed up my kegerator a while back.

You will most likely find it on the floor in the morning. No harm done because co2 is coming out. Clean and sanitize and put it back. You need a blowoff hose in your future.

Is this an immediate need? Its 1030 tonight and I'm a bit buzzed and I dont think sanitizing the hose is on my to do list right now.

It depends on how much you do not want to clean up in the morning. If it's on a slab in the garage, no worries - if it's on your nice new carpet and your married - big worry:D

Alright guys, blew the lid last night, didn't listen to advice, but I wouldnt have been able to do anything about it anyway. I need a blowoff tube now. What size ID tube do I need? I have the same airlock as pictured above.

I can't tell you the exact size myself. I do know that 5/16" tubing is to small. I tried that on New Years Day. I haven't made it to a store yet. ( I live in the boondocks by choice). My 5/16" tubing did fit nicely in the grommet of the lid of my fermenter which is a 6.5 gallon ale pail.

I just ran into the same problem on my first batch a week ago (also used a 5 gallon for primary). I believe that the tubing I got to do the blow off was 5/8". I picked up a 6' length of it at Home Depot for about $5.

Also, from what I've read over the last week or so you don't need to use a 5 gallon carboy for the primary since it doesn't leave enough room for the Krausen to rise. On my second batch I used a 6.5 gallon plastic bucket for primary with virtually no problem and will be using the 5 gal carboy for the secondary.

For the airlock tubing I picked up some 1/2" ID tubing 2 the local hardware store for .49 cents a foot yesterday.

On my second batch I used a 6.5 gallon plastic bucket for primary with virtually no problem and will be using the 5 gal carboy for the secondary.

I got away with this for a couple of years until my last batch. I had a fermentation so crazy it blew off through my 6.5G bucket. Not a major explosion but enough to make me think I should use a blow off tube even with a bucket in the future - especially if it's 5.5G or more in the bucket...

Latest posts

Back