Rocks in dried hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimTheHick

Reaction score
My first time using dried hop leaves and I found two rocks about the size of Hershey kisses in the bag as I was measuring out the hops. Seemed really odd to me so i was wondering if anyone else has had this happen. I know simcoe are hard to come by - hopefully it isn't so bad that thickening agents like rocks are being used (tongue in cheek).

Never had rocks, but have had the occasional stick.

Hops are separated and left in huge mounds on the ground (usually in temperature controlled barns/warehouses). I don't know how they bag them, but probably just scoop them off the ground. Sounds like you were just unlucky to get some off the bottom, which just happened to have some small stones.

I think you were just unlucky, and would not blame the farm, supplier, or shop for it. ........ If the next packet is the same; then maybe think of shopping elsewhere.

Thanks for the info! I'm not distressed about this in the least - just found it odd. The hops smelled amazing, so I can deal with the odd erratic in the packaging! I take this as more of a sign that this product is produced without a buttload of processing, always a bonus.

It seems like if the bag was weighed after the rocks were added, you'd be short on hops.

Did you buy it like that? Because if so I'd take it back and demand the weight of the rocks in simcoe.

My guess is that the rocks made up about 0.1 ounce of the 2 ounce bag. I have two more bags - if I find any more rocks in those then I'll likely ask some questions to the supplier. As of now though, it seems like an honest mistake, and only worth about $0.20.

It was an amusing entrance into the world of whole leaf hops!

I know the growers really try to limit trash in their hops (they get a huge premium for doing so), but sometimes it happens.

Like calder said, they just pile up hops until they're ready to bale them, and then they're just pushed around with a loader. The processing on the "upstream" side of the warehouse is pretty intense- removing sticks, stems, leaves, climbing vines, etc... there's no way a rock would make it through that, so it most likely came from the warehouse floor.

I use almost all leaf hops and get my fair share of sticks, weeds and even some small stones. To get a rock that size isnt good. I wouldnt get crazy about it but I for sure would let the retailer know and see if he makes it good. They sure didnt have any trouble charging four bucks an ounce and demanding that you buy other brewing supplies to even be able to buy hops when the shortage was on.

Thanks to all for the replies. I'm new to homebrewing so I don't harbor any angst over the shoddy past dealings - maybe the first time something like this happens it's "haha". It was also 3 bucks (3.99 maybe?) for two ounces of simcoe so between just being happy to get a hold of it and paying a reasonable price I can forgive the, ahem, rocky start to my first online order.

Simcoes are awesome, by the way. They go great with Amarillos. I just brewed and IPA with 8oz of Simcoes!

Roger that. I'm doing Dude's lake walk with Amarillo/Simcoe and couldnt be more geeked about it! Tastes great 1 week into ferm. For a long time I thought really hoppy stuff wasnt for me until I figured out I just didn't care for a buttload of cascade. I accidentally tried a happy hour special of an Amarillo/simcoe a while back and man am I on board with that!

Back