My first time trying to stop fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pennachi

Reaction score
I have this melomel (honey, peaches, kiwi, strawberries, raspberries, nottingham ale yeast) I started 2 weeks ago, this morning the gravity read 1.022 which is where I would like it to stop. I skimmed off the fruit with a sanitized spoon, degassed for about 3 minutes and then added 3 campden tablets for the 3 gallon batch.

I can't cold crash as the bucket will not fit in my refrigerator.

This was almost 12 hours ago and it is still bubbling through the airlock at a pretty good rate. I know this can just be C02 coming out and the only way to know is to take gravity readings. I will check it again tomorrow.

Is there anything else I can do to stop fermentation? I do plan on aging this for a year but I would rather not have to back sweeten.

I didn't take an OG reading but since Nottingham quits around 10-11% from what I understand it has to be running out of steam soon anyway with 12 pounds of honey and 11 pounds of fruit

You wont stop it with camden. Your only real options are cold crashing followed by stabalisation with sorbate. Or maybe pasturisation. To cold crash you will need to rack it to containers that will fit in a fridge, though to actually stop fermentation you may need to keep it there a while. The one time I managed it I kept it in there until it was fully clear before stabalising. Backsweetening really is a lot easier....

the only way I have sucessfully stoped fermentation is by cold crashing for couple days, and then racking off the lees on to campden + sorbate. Campden by itself will not do it

Back