Cruising & homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wgonfan

Reaction score
I'm taking a Cruise later this summer & would really love to enjoy a bottle or two of my own brew while onboard but they do not allow glass, nor alcohol to be brought on board. You are allowed to bring two bottles of wine & up to 12 bottles/cans of soda. The brew I'm most interested in taking has already been bottled in glass. Do you guys think I could carefully transfer a few bottles to PET cleaned & sanitized coke/dp bottles & attempt to smuggle them on-board? Maybe I can just bottle my next batch in PET bottles & put a fake soda label on them, but the beer would still be a little green & I don't know if my fake labels would fool anyone.

Also, we are porting in Roatan, Belize & Cozumel... can any one think of any brewing ingredients that I could/should pickup at either/each region to make a brew based of that vacation after our return?

Most cruiselines X-ray each bag that goes on the ship including carry-ons. They are pretty good at spotting things that shouldn't be brought on board which depends on what line you are going to take. Some no longer allow stuff like bottled water or soda.

Your bags will also get some pretty rough treatment before they get to your room so glass is not a good choice especially for carbonated stuff.. Fake soda or pop labels won't work.

Normally when they nail a bag with contraband the said bag will go to the "naughty room" where you will be told to report. After a lecture and the loss of the stuff you will get your luggage back. Is a PIA since you won't have the luggage till later, maybe after dinner.

Nothing much in the Western Caribbean would interest me as far as brewing ingredients except for the usual spices that you can find anywhere.. Watch out for cheap vanilla in Cozumel, as some of it isn't really vanilla and is not fit for human use..

Sol beer in Cozumel is better than Corona and most BMC's in the US.

Most cruise ships have Sam Adams, but as far as any good beers, for me, they are hard to find so I stick to liquor.

Have a fun cruise and get used to hearing stuff like "CHEAPER THAN K-MART" when in Cozumel:D

bosco

ps. If you like your beer really cold have your room steward give you an ice bucket and tell him/her to keep it filled.. The refrigerators on ships only keep things cool...

Having a belekin at a beach BBQ in Belize is one of my absolute favorite things ever. Ever.

Other than that, some cruise lines can be pretty cool if you let them know your intentions in advance. I have been able to bring vast quantities of wine on ship for a small fee (Norwegian cruise lines is good about this). Never tried beer, but it is worth a phone call, especially if you can spin a yarn about your anniversary or something.

NCL is one of the best for wine.

Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant or public room, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below. The fees (corkage) can range from 20-30 bucks a bottle..

Most of the others have very tight restrictions for alcohol. Celebrity is 2 bottles of wine and no beer, Holland is all the wine you want but nor beer, Royal Caribbean is now stopping all beverages (depending on the port???). The only lines that don't care are a few of the true Luxury lines, where all drinks are included anyway. ( I think Disney as well, cause they don't serve onboard)

bosco

Back