Tell me how bad this will taste!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
While racking my IPA to the primary a pretty substantioal amount of the hops went with it. Didn't have time to re-rack and filter so i pitched the yeast. The yeast seems happy at 2 bubbles per second, but will it taste like crap since there is so much hop sediment? I used hop pellets.

thanks

Reverend

I ended up with quite a bit of hop sediment on my first brew...my Pale-Ass Ale. Very drink-able, but tasted a "little" grassy.

Once primary is done rack it to secondary ASAP and you might prevent to much grass-taste.

don't sweat it. check out my IPA recipe.... about 5 oz of hops in the boil, and I've brewed it a couple of times using pellets and made absolutely NO attempt to avoid transferring the hops into the primary. the stuff is always delicious. :)

I had the exact same issue with my current batch. I had about a 1/4 inch of hop pellet sludge on the bottom of my carboy so I promptly posted here! I was assured by all the knowledgable people here that it will not affect the taste. Relax, you should be able to stick to your fermentation schedule as normal.

Thanks Gents for the quick reply, i will now resume looking at the airlock bubble and drinking a previous home brew

reverend

Yeah I forgot all together a few times to strain. When you rack, it will come off the hops. Your fine.

The only thing I've noticed with excess hop trub in the primary is some extra hop bitterness, but it fades with time.

Back