What is that SMELL?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OblivionsGate

Reaction score
So I have made my first mead with little research (not how i wanted to). I was at my LHBS and mentioned that I was looking at making mead. The guy there said "it was 12lbs of honey, yeast nutrient, two packets of yeast, and around 4 gallons of water. All in the bucket, stir, done"

Thinking "wow, thats too easy" I bought all that and did what he told me. after about a day the air lock started going crazy. Fast forward 4 days and my whole homebrew closet smells like ROTTEN EGGS!

honey was wildflower honey and the yeast was wine yeast (i think)

is this normal?

p.s. i work long hours in the next couple days, so if i dont answer a question about details right away, i'll answer it tomorrow night

Montrachet yeast is known for producing sulphurous odors (search the "rhino farts" thread) you might be able to lessen or even eliminate this with some added DAP (diammonium phosphate) in future fermentations. Regards, GF.

Bad News is that Wild Flower Honey is SUPER PUNGENT! You may end up with a LOT stronger Flavor than You'd expected. Remember Never Dump Mead No Matter What! Even 10 Years or more.
Summersolstice says mine may mellow....Give yours time too.

No! Your mead has challenged your dominance. You need to go forth, eat three or four bowls of chili, and a fake egg omelet. Show your mead that you can make a bigger stink!

You mean "that smell that's all around you--ouuu"? :D

(Sorry couldn't resist)

"Cant-cha smell that smell"?

"Oooh that smell"

Small world. Middle of Kettering. I can walk to the Fraze Pavilion from my house.

that's great news, thank you so much for the help!

And i'll take that into consideration will, i am making chili on sunday...

Bad News is that Wild Flower Honey is SUPER PUNGENT! You may end up with a LOT stronger Flavor than You'd expected.

Heh I did the same thing, ordered 24 pounds of wildflower honey (I want 15 or so, they come in increments of 12, and I have no real sugar here so I can either sweeten my tea with DME or honey).

Show your mead that you can make a bigger stink!

Heck, don't even think of making an apple cider with this yeast then. The rhino farts from that mix will get you to work at 3-AM "just cause" you can't can't stand the smell in your apartment. Of course don't tell your co-workers that or you will not be able to keep them from "just dropping by" a few months later. :mug:

Back