Brew day oops - need quick advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clawton

Reaction score
Hi there.

I've just finished a 60 minute boil and realized my only airstopper is already occupied in a secondary fermenter. Today's brew is going in my 5 gallon pail to ferment. Should I cover the little hole where the airstop usually goes or just leave it open? I'm thinking leave it open since isn't this similar to the way people ferment with blow-off tubes - just leave the top of the jug open? I'm thinking if I try to cap it the CO2 will just pop it open anyway if fermentation starts. I can pick up another airstop tomorrow.

Thanks,
Chris

Is your secondary fermentation producing that much Co2? Use the airlock on the primary and cover the secondary with sanitized foil. You may find it's not producing pressure any more and you don't need it.

Thanks all 3 of you for the quick advice. The secondary is not producing noticable CO2 through the airlock so I'll cap that with foil and use the airlock. And I'll start another thread about forgetting to add the aroma hops. Now leave them out alltogether or dry hop, which I have never tried before. It's a robust porter so it may be just fine without. It's been a comedy of errors tonight.

Back