New user with wine question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc_hoovie

Reaction score
Hello forum! I'm new to this place and have a question. I've dabbled with winemaking over the past year. Nothing very scientific- place some apple or grape juice in a gallon glass jug with a little sugar and some yeast and let nature take it's course. While cleaning out the garage of a family member who was a hoarder, we came across 10 glass bottles of homemade wine. Some were bad but most were drinkable, including this baby. When it clears, it looks like apple cider vinegar, but tastes wonderful. I'm guessing it's some sort of apple- based wine. We're guessing it's maybe 30-40 years old. Very hard to tell though. There's a layer of sediment about 3/4 inch on the bottom. If I let this clarify out real good and carefully siphon the good stuff off the sediment, is there any chance I may be able to put some new apple juice/ cider in and bring that yeast back around for one more round? I home brew beer and know yeast can go dormant, but this is old stuff. I'd love to get a jug out of this, from what my great uncle started many years ago. Any thoughts whether this is even worth the bother? Thanks in advance!

Doc

image-3751447021.jpg

I'm just an amateur...but i say mix up a batch and pitch it on that thing! if it ferments the answer is yes...lol

I think id siphon if off, have a buddy over and drink the whole thing, looks yummy.

I am a wine producer but I am sorry I can't help you with your question. I personally always ferment with wild yeast at the winery. I am lucky enough to have the greatest indigenous yeasts on the grapes. I would say try it. I am very surprised it is not highly oxidized. I like slightly oxidized wine/cider. Good luck

The yeast in the sediment will almost certainly be dead after that amount of time.

Drink the wine though, sounds brilliant!

Dicky

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. It is quite good wine. Wish I knew more about it. I'm gonna give it a try. If it don't pan out, I've only got a little money in it.

If it doesn't take off just add some fresh yeast, no need to have wasted any money. Or test the yeast with a little water and sugar to make a starter first.

Back