Modified Kick Ass Kolsch happily bubbling in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
I brewed up a batch of modified "Kick Ass Kolsch" from a recipe posted awhile back by DeRoux's Broux. I couldn't make the exact recipe as my LHBS store didn't have the exact ingredients.

Anyway, I brewed in on Wednesday and it is still putting out a bubble a second tonight. Not only that, but it is making my basement smell heavenly. Knock on wood, I think this could turn out to be a good batch. Now patience is the word, I guess.

Don't keep it a secret. Post the rescipe so we can all make it. I Made a Kolsch with extracts and it was my best Ale so far. I've switched to all grain brewing and Kolsch is going to be my next all brew.

David

Here's the recipe I started with. It was provided in another thread by DeRoux's Broux:

KOLSCH

A pale colored German ale - Great thirst quencher!
5 lbs. light unhopped malt extract
2 1/2 lb. German pilsner malt
1/4 lb. German light crystal malt
1/4 lb. German Melanoidin malt
1 1/2 oz. Hallertauer hops (bittering)
1/2 oz. Hallertauer hops (flavoring)
1/2 oz. Hallertauer hops (finishing)
1/2 tsp. calcium chloride
1 pkg. Nottingham Ale Yeast(Wyeast #1007, #2565, #1338 or White Labs German Ale or Dusseldorf Alt Yeast)
1 pkg. Bru-Vigor (yeast food)
3/4 cup corn sugar (for priming)
O.G. - 1.048
F.G. - 1.012

I used 6 lbs. LME, and did not use either the calcium choride or the Bru-Vigor. I used a Wyeast Kolsch yeast smack-pack.

(My previous try at making a kolsch resulted in a batch that tasted like yeasty swill at first. I started drinking it anyway, and was totally p*ssed about 2-3 months later when miraculously it turned out to be one of my best batches ever-- and I had less than a case left!)

Thanks, I've printed out the recipie and I'll give it a try as soon asI can fee up my Corboy fermenter.I assume there is no fancy mashing technique and you ferment at about 60 degrees F.

David

I just racked an all-grain Kolsch to secondary this weekend. My grain and hop bill are slightly different:

7.5 lbs german pilsner malt
1 lb german wheat
1 lb. vienna

1.5 oz tettnanger 60 minutes
.5 oz tettnanger 30
.5 spaltz 30
.3 saaz 10
.3 saaz 5

I used white labs german ale/kolsch (WLP 029)
OG was 1.048
FG was 1.008

yeast gave off a ton of sulpher odor while fermenting and the krausen was almost an inch thick and never fell, even after two weeks (I had to rack off underneath it). Very strange yeast. Anyway, it smelled and tasted great at this early stage so i have very high hopes for the final product, which is going to get a month in the secondary at 55 degrees.

Let me know how your turns out...

Jeff

davidkrau said:
Thanks, I've printed out the recipie and I'll give it a try as soon asI can fee up my Corboy fermenter.I assume there is no fancy mashing technique and you ferment at about 60 degrees F.

David

Yeah, I just steeped the grains in grain bags (I needed two bags because it called for a lot of grain). The fermentation temp is about 61F. I made a kolsch last fall, too, when it was warmer and it turned out good, too, so I don't think the cool fermentation temp is all that crucial.

jeffg said:
I used white labs german ale/kolsch (WLP 029)
OG was 1.048
FG was 1.008

yeast gave off a ton of sulpher odor while fermenting and the krausen was almost an inch thick and never fell, even after two weeks (I had to rack off underneath it). Very strange yeast. Anyway, it smelled and tasted great at this early stage so i have very high hopes for the final product, which is going to get a month in the secondary at 55 degrees.

Jeff

When I bought the stuff for mine the store didn't have kolsch yeast so they gave me Wyeast German Ale yeast. I bought some kolsch yeast from another store, though.

I am debating about what I should make with the German Ale yeast.

Back