Measuring wort/water volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCericola

Reaction score
Would a wooden dowel with notches be safe? Or what about using electrical tape? I've considered using PVC as well but was nervous about it nor being food grade.

1/2" copper pipe notched with tubing cutter. Used a Sharpie to mark the gallons but it wipes off after a few uses so I have to reapply. I like the engraver idea. Might have to try that.

I have measurements on my FV's. I also use a 1 gallon Sunny D jug with markings on it for quarts up to 1 gallon level. I measure water for BK & top off with it.

Your best bet is to calibrate and mark your fermenter. Use a 1 gallon bottle and use a measuring cup to mark quarts on it, then use the one gallon bottle to fill your carboy 1 gallon or less at a time. Mark on the outside of the fermenter with a Sharpie. With a carboy it's pretty straightforward, but it's still easy with a bucket - the plastic is translucent so you can see the liquid level if the light is bright (if your room light isn't bright enough, use a flashlight).

Either I had a moment of absolute genius, or total stupidity but I measure the pot, calculated the water level at different volumes, and used a aluminum yardstick to check the water level.

Latest posts

Back