Boil kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krduckman

Reaction score
Just bought a 60 quart boil kettle from an industrial kitchen supply store. The question is: do I need to attach a thermometer and sight glass to the kettle for an all-grain brew?

The reason I ask is because I see the boil kettles on the brew supply stores websites with a thermometer and sight glass. I'm just trying to understand the value of this or should I only be concerned with having a large enough pot to boil the wort in for all-grain?

A Thermometer is good if you are using an immersion chiller.
A Site glass is a nice to have for knowing what your initial run-off is, evaporation rate and final quantity.

about 1/2 way up is common
Fill your kettle with water to the level that the wort would be at after boil for 5 gallon batches (unless you will always do 10 gallon batches). Down about 2-3" should be a good spot.

The sight glass goes into the bells and whistles category. It’s pretty much a one shot thing that can be done with a dowel with number on it. The thermometer is something I wouldn’t be without for both chilling and approaching boil temperature. I use the lid to get to boiling quicker, but use that time to start clean up. It's nice to be able to glance over and see how close it's getting without taking the lid off. Or having the mess of a boil over.

Back