Taking original gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peppage

Reaction score
I started making small batches of mead with all different kinds of ingredients and it's been pretty exciting. At first I wasn't concerned with taking any specific gravity readings but now that I'm more serious I am very curious what the final % alcohol is going to be.

I wanted to know how am I suppose to take original gravity readings on meads where I add fruit, like oranges and pears. How will the fruit affect the reading or am I missing something and it doesn't matter?

Would I be better off using a vinometer to have a reading before bottling? I can't imagine that it is very accurate for mead.

Thanks

Also be sure to mix it up well. I've been doing 1 gallon batches lately and you need to tip the jug for several minutes before everything is all mixed evenly.

...Would I be better off using a vinometer to have a reading before bottling? I can't imagine that it is very accurate for mead.
FYI... Vinometers are most accurate when testing dry wines where very little residual sugar is present. The sweeter the wine (mead, etc.) the less accurate the vinometer becomes. ;)

Back