Apple Cinnamon Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbburn05

Reaction score
Here's an extract apple cinnamon porter I put together.

3lb Dark DME
3lb Amber DME
1lb Chocolate Malt
1lb Crystal 40L Malt
1oz Cascade (bittering)
1oz Willamette (aroma)
2.5oz Apple flavoring extract
1.5tbsp ground cinnamon
Yeast: Safale S-04
Boil time: 60min
Estimated IBU: 30
OG: 1.056
FG: estimated 1.016
ABV: 5.4%

Bring 4gal to 160F, steep grains at 160-165F for 25 mins. Remove grains, bring to boil, then shut off heat and stir in DME until dissolved. Return to boil, add bittering hops, and boil for 60 min. Add aroma hops for last 5min of boil. In a separate pot, bring 1gal to boil, add cinnamon to make a "tea", then cover and shut off heat. Add cinnamon tea to main boil during chilling, and top off to 5gal with extra water. Add apple flavoring extract during transfer to primary.

I'm pretty new to brewing, so feel free to comment/critique. Went into primary last night, the wort smelled awesome with the apple and cinnamon.

After 7d gravity was 1.016. Left if for two more days, then moved to secondary (gravity hadn't budged). Apple cinnamon smell was less pronounced (not surprising, from what I've read about fruit beers), but the bottom half of the bucket still smelled pretty appley. Planning on leaving it in the secondary for 2.5 weeks at least, probably longer.

Finally bottled the batch a few days ago, we'll see how it turns out in a couple weeks. FG: 1.016

Back