How about this pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't see anything about it being magnetically coupled ...are you planning on using a variable DC power supply to control the flow?

You usually don't want to throttle down the flow (with a valve) on a direct-coupled DC pump because it makes the motor work harder , increasing coil current, and overheating the motor.

Its only got a 1/4" outlet; little small for what is typically used in homebrewing; I guess it'll just take longer and you'll have to be more creative in your plumbing.

Although it doesnt mention it, it may be magnetically coupled...One of the reviewers emntioned using a ball valve for flow control. If it was directly coupled, it probably would have burned up pretty quick with a valve on there. Heres another inexpensive option some people have talked alot about:
http://www.greatbreweh.com/Beer_Pump.html
I havent tried them myself, but I may do so in the near future when I build a smaller 3 gal countertop electric system.

Just a littke update. I got the pump on saturday. It is about the dimensions of a credit card. I used an old 12v DC adapter to power it. I was shock at how much water this little thing can move. I am going to wire it to a rheostat and a switch for easier use. Only thing I would worry about is the plastic head cracking over time but i have nothing to back up that claim. I think this will turn out to be a hidden gem.

Latest posts

Back