Alternative Yeast Nutrients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ox45

Reaction score
Hello All,

Last night I threw together a new batch of my own variation of the No-Age Mead, and have a question about nutrients. I have the "Yeast Nutrient" from LD Carlson, which is basically DAP and Urea. I've been reading up that Urea is not highly suggested for mead, but that was after adding 3 tsp to the mix pre pitch. I rehydrated the 71-B per instructions, and pitched last night at about 9pm. As of this morning (9am), there appears to be no activity. SG is the exact same.

I hear that 71-B is a nutrient hog, and herein lies the problem. None of my LHBS carry Fermaid and straight DAP. Since this is already pitched, I cannot wait the 4 days for delivery from an online site. Would I be OK tossing in some raisins and some nutritional yeast (Red Star http://lesaffre-yeast.com).

Another thing I need to check is that the room I stored it in last night was a nice brisk 64F, and I see that is the lower limit of the 71-B. I moved it into the main living area which is a stead 70F. Hopefully that will help it move, but just in case are these two additions safe to add?

Thanks!

Forgot this part:
Recipe:
15lbs Clover Honey
2lbs Buckwheat Honey
Water to about 5.25 gallons
3tsp "Yeast Nutrient"
3tsp liquid tannins
5g 71-B rehydrated
Well aerated with drill whip
Pitched into must @ 78F
OG - 1.118

Raisins would work, put some in a cup of boiling water with a plain black tea bag if you have it, let it steep for an hour (this will make a real strong tea as well as give it time to cool down) and add that, your yeast will very much like it.

If you have some regular bread yeast mix with some water and microwave for a few minutes until it boils then add that after it cools.

The lesaffre is an inactive yeast, I don't know too much about the nutritional stats but still being a yeast, inactive or not I'd give it a quick boil in the microwave, basically you want any yeast not the 71-B to be dead dead, the 71-B will cannabalize it and be happy.

the Urea is basically just another nitrogen component, it's not ideal for your mead but can be used...no worries you have a lot of options.

Thanks for the confirmation!

I picked up the nutritional yeast because it's basically yeast cells that have been pasteurized and fortified with a bunch of B vitamins and minerals which I hear wine yeasts love.

I was just going to go the bread route but my stupid local store is out of the active dry, but they had that.

Worst comes to worse, the nutritional yeast tastes pretty damn good on it's own so it won't go to waste!

Sorry all, I have a head cold that must be clouding my mind still!
I was going to use 71-B, but LHBS was out. I actually pitched Cote des blancs instead. DOH!

Back