Containing all those leaf hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archer75

Reaction score
Currently I only do one or two hop additions when brewing and I use some nylon bags with drawstrings that I tie shut and throw into the boil. Since i'm using leaf hops this keeps the mess of hops cotained in the bag.

On my last brew a bag worked itself open and all the hops came out which resulted in a clogged ball valve and a mess trying to get all the beer out of there.

My next brew I want to make has a lot of hop additions. How should I handle this? I don't really want to throw in a dozen bags of leaf hops(I can, just seems like a lot of cleaning afterwards) and would like some good reusable options. Thanks!

I did an IPA today with 4 oz whole leaf hops and I just threw them loose in the kettle. After I chilled I wrapped my auto siphon in a paint strainer bag and racked to my Carboy. Worked great - all the hop material stayed in the kettle. You just lose a bit of wort in the kettle to the hops.

I made a hop spider out of a pvc coupling, four inch I think, and a wooden dowel rod. I attach a5 gallon paint strainer bag to the coupling worth a big hose clamp and add my hops to that. Works worth lead and pellet. The bag doors get heavy with big leaf brew says

Back