New to Mead and looking for some advice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shade21

Reaction score
Hello everyone I'm looking to get into Mead, however I'm fairly young (24) and on a budget. What is the best way to get started ?

Thanks!

I should also add that I'm wanting to make a Sweet Mead. ( as my wife and I can both agree on it).

Thanks !

Well, as bottlebomber has linked the thread here, I'll link the Gotmead NewBee Guide, the recipe is in chapter 6 but the rest of the guide will give you enough info on most other aspects of mead making.

If you're gonna go for a batch of JAO, stay as close as you can get away with for the first batch, then you'll have a benchmark batch (or as close as you can manage). A few things not to worry to much about, are that it's fine if, being as skint as you say, you use Wally world store bought honey. Likewise, I can't get the yeast here, it's a US brand that's unavailable, so I just use a local equivalent.

Also, my first attempt at it, I automatically made it to 1 gallon, an imperial gallon that is (4.55 litres) and not a US gallon (3.78 litres) so while mine would be a little less sweet, it still came out fine.

I'm not convinced about it being ready as soon as it's cleared and the fruit has dropped, and have found it's still best to rack it off the fruit/sediment and then age it for at least 6 months, but it can be drunk straight away if you want (it still improves with ageing though).

The comment Joe says about not using too many cloves is spot on. They are potent little buggers.

Plus it's convenience of being able to source the ingredients from a local grocery store is very handy/helpful. The recipe does scale well if you wanted to make a larger batch, but you don't need to scale the yeast so much as an 8g sachet should be fine for up to about 5 gallons.

The hardest part of it, is the racking/siphoning once it's done, you have to be very careful as the yeast doesn't flocculate (settle and compact down) very well, just moving the fermenter to where you're gonna actually do the racking can bring some of it back into suspension so you need to move the ferment a day or two before the racking is gonna happen......

Welcome to the forum! :mug:
Make a gallon of JOAM.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f80/joes-ancient-orange-mead-49106/

But what does the age have to do with anything?

I completely agree. With parental permission, I have an aprentice that is currently 15.

I personally did not go with a JAOM. I feel the best benchmark is to go with a good show mead. Just a good source of honey, water, yeast and energizer and nutrient. That way you can see and taste it with out adjucts. That's for later. Also, I would get used to using wine yeast. I am not a fan of using bread yeast and unless you wish to do JAOM style meads you don't get a good feel for it.

Matrix

heres another tip that is probablly in those links, do not boil the water (if you plan on heating it) heat the water to 150F or so (just under boiling) and make sure it is cool before you pitch your yeast. i started with making cider and just adding apple peels for the yeast. i had a couple good batches. ive used all kinds of yeast but if you are going to use bread yeast (which i still use) keep the container you are fermenting in, in some cool water.(if you are in warmer climates) it will help slow down the yeast so that there isnt too much co2 taste transferring into your liquid. it will take longer but much better results (with bread yeast) if you are wanting to do a sweet mead stick with 3lbs honey per gallon recipe. you can always just use 3lbs honey, water (top up to 1 gallon after honey) and whatever fruit or spices you wish to use. be creative! expiramenting is what i enjoy most about brewing. good luck! cheers :mug:

Back