Haus Pale Ale w/o Enough Priming Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greeneyed

Reaction score
OK, well I have my priming sugar separated into two different sized preweighed sizes. I make some half batches, and use 2.5 oz for them, and some 5g batches, and use 5oz for them.

I realized last night, that my bottling buddy grabbed one of the wrong ones.
So, I have 2 cases of beer with 1/2 as much priming sugar. These have been bottled for a week come Saturday.

What are my options?

Just the obvious:
1. Settle for low carbonation.
2. Chill, open all bottles, add calibrated amount of priming solution to each to make up the difference & re-cap. This assumes you lose little of the existing carbonation.
3. Open all bottles, dump into bottling bucket, add the full 5oz priming sugar, and re-bottle. This assumes that the yeast has fully consumed the first priming sugar and that the resulting carbonation is lost in the handling.

I would try 1. and if really unhappy, try 2. next.

Tried one Friday night (2 weeks in bottle). It was definitely under carbed. But It did have some carbonation. There is still about an inch of yeast haze in the bottom of the bottle. I will be trying another this Friday (3 weeks). If I deem it severely undercarbed, I may take actions. Or just may bottle condition until I get the last few parts for the keezer, and keg it then.

+1 on adding munton carb tabs and recapping. Ive done it before and it worked fine.

I had used 3oz of priming sugar for a 5g batch for use in 5L minikegs. When I finished filling my kegs, I still had about a case of bottles to fill, I forgot, and ended up adding two tabs per bottle about two weeks later.

Back