Investment op....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know specific details about this yet....but it has been raised recently that the owner of my LHBS is going to be head brewer at a brand new microbrewery in Williamsburg, VA. Supposedly they are opening up for investors as well. I'm extremely interested in this, but I'm just not sure--for a couple of reasons. I won't get into that now...but what do you guys think? Would you go for it?

I think the good ol' "invest what you can afford to lose" may apply here. Personally, I think I prefer to keep my love of beer the way it is and not introduce margins, shareholders, etc., unless I was directly involved day-to-day (i.e., full-time jerb).

Incidentally, a brewer at one of the very successful microbreweries down here started out as the owner of my LHBS before selling it to the current owner and taking the brewer position, so this is the second time I've heard this scenario. It looks like it may be an effective way to get into a brewer position.

ORRELSE said:
I don't know specific details about this yet....but it has been raised recently that the owner of my LHBS is going to be head brewer at a brand new microbrewery in Williamsburg, VA. Supposedly they are opening up for investors as well. I'm extremely interested in this, but I'm just not sure--for a couple of reasons. I won't get into that now...but what do you guys think? Would you go for it?

Can't wait to get the inside scoop on this one!

Sam75 said:
Can't wait to get the inside scoop on this one!

You guys know as much about it right now as I do. Hopefully I can find out some more today when I get grain.

It sounds really interesting but it does have some issues I'd need to REALLY consider before I jumped in. Sam can probably see where I'm headed with this. I have some money to put into it, but do I want to is the question. It sure would be cool though.

I'll keep you al informed!

One of the guys I work with is part owner (small cut I am certain) of a local brewery. I'll chat with him sometime next week and get back to you one way or the other.

I remember the place when they were still painting and the tanks weren't even ordered.

They needed investors and got several doctors and lawyers who basically became little dictators and ruined the whole thing (IMHO).

Personally, I don't like their beer. I've been there once since I've been back from Germany and that was to look for someone. I tried several of their beers then and critiqued each one and all came under the catagory of "sucked". I was VERY displeased. Never been back...and don't plan on it.

Approach with caution, and look at their business plan. Find out how they calculated their rates of return and breakevens. How would you be an owner? If they issue a full out partnership, you're liable for losses (potentially) vs. offering you stock or even preferred stock.

What kind of return are you hoping to make on your investment? Do you think the market is there to support the place.

Can you afford to lose the money? If not, then STAY AWAY.
Do you think these guys are smart enough to run the place?
How much ownership will you have, and does that include the right to vote on matters like budget?

I got the scoop on this....

It is a new brewery opening up in the old Williamsburg Brewing Co. brewery. Supposedly the specs haven't been worked out for all the equipment and all that, so it is a few months off. As for the investment--they are looking for 4-5 investors for about $50,000 each. That puts me out of the running! :p He did mention that once they got up and running they may open it up for more investors, for lower amounts. I doubt I'd go for it then either. I think this place has a steep uphill climb ahead of them. :eek:

My LHBS owner is definitely going to be the lead brewer-other than that he didn't know much else at this point. He did ask for volunteer help--but I'm not falling into that trap again--I'm going for a part-time job!!!!!!! :D

ORRELSE said:
As for the investment--they are looking for 4-5 investors for about $50,000 each. That puts me out of the running! :p
Get everyone here to toss in $25 each and we're there! You can be the general partner. :)

orrelse, is this the one:

Swamp Fox Brewing Company

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yall....

I am in the process of starting a new brewing company to be located in the Myrtle Beach area of SC(micro/craft brewer...not brew pub) to be known as Swamp Fox Brewing Company. We will seek to become Myrtle Beach's home town brewer...and distribute our beers up and down the eastern seaboard and beyond!

I am building a founding team and am looking for a few key players(2 to 3 individuals) to help. I need expertise in business, finance, sales and brewing.(passionate brewmaster needed). This is a ground floor opportunity with equity ownership offered in the new enterprise to founding members. My goal is to begin filling bottles and kegs and commence distribution and sales in 2007. Our mission is to produce some of the best crafted beers on the planet!

SERIOUS ENQUIRIES ONLY to [email protected]

Keep growing,
Kevin Pickell, founding partner
Swamp Fox Brewing Company(coming soon!)

DeRoux's Broux said:
orrelse, is this the one:

Swamp Fox Brewing Company

Nope. Ths one wil be in Williamsburg, VA. It is about 15 mlesn of Hampton/Newport News. Williamsburg is oddly enough the home of Busch Gardens and a very large Anheuser Busch brewery as well. :rolleyes:

DeRoux's Broux said:
sounds like a nice up-hill battle.....

Yah. I honestly don't expect this brewery to survive long. First off, I don't think it is in a very good location, despite the colleges. Mike (the new brewmaster) is banking on tourism to float the place. I dunno.

Better have some great beer, IMHO.

well, i reckon any major investment like that is a risk. better that than a nail salon or anothe used car lot!
i hope they make it. the world needs more craft brew!!!!!

Williamsburg is a neat place, especially if you're a history buff. My parents go there a lot, but if they're representative of the bulk of the tourists I'm not convinced the customer base is there. I don't think the full-time population are microbrew enthusiasts, and when I was in college I couldn't afford microbrew, but maybe times have changed.

Just for the fun of typing...if it were me, I'd go with some sort of Sam Adams-esque theme tying in with Williamsburg and Jamestown. Your Pat Henry Porter, George Washington Ale, etc. If it were a brewpub then I'd pattern it off the Raleigh Tavern and make it 'historically quaint'. Dress up the servers. Mmmmm...fair maiden....

I'm also in Williamsburg and would love to see a quality microbrewer do well here. His location isn't the best but if his beer is good, I think he'll have a chance... good marketing helps too. Still not sure what happened to Williamsburg Brewing Co... I've heard 3 different stories about why they closed. As far as St George, my experience with them has been that their beer is good but whoever answers their e-mail appears to have an attitude. Unfortunately, I stopped buying their beer for that reason.

Yeah, we're still trying to figure out what they're going to offer... just a brewery, homebrew shop, brewpub, etc. The Virginia ABC site doesn't show any licenses issued to them yet.

I spoke with someone from the current HBS and they said that they will keep their current location in Norfolk and have only the brewery in williamsburg (at first).

What makes this friend of yours think he is going to have any more success than Williamsburg Brewing Co.? I haven't heard anything about this place, have they started brewing yet? I'm up for a trip out there if they are, it's only an hour away and I can convince my wife to go outlet shopping and then take a slight detour. :D

Nate said:
I'm also in Williamsburg and would love to see a quality microbrewer do well here. His location isn't the best but if his beer is good, I think he'll have a chance... good marketing helps too. Still not sure what happened to Williamsburg Brewing Co... I've heard 3 different stories about why they closed. As far as St George, my experience with them has been that their beer is good but whoever answers their e-mail appears to have an attitude. Unfortunately, I stopped buying their beer for that reason.

That is extremely unfortunate. I work over there a few times a week now and they are good people.

They hit a marketing gold mine with the recent "Dragon Packs" a sampler of all thier fine regular brews plus one seasonal. The current seasonal is Spring Lager, which I helped bottle this week and put into Dragon Packs today.
Give 'em another try!!!!

I work right across the street from St. George. Their beers can hold their own against anything else out there nationally. The biggest problem, I believe, is their marketing and advertising.

They need to add a brewpub or something to get their name circulating more.....Most people I work with don't even know they exist right across the street.

I don't know how the new Williamsburg AleWerks is going to do.... from what I heard about the old brewery the quality really started to go down-hill over the last few years. I think they still have breweries in other parts of the state though.

My experience is the brewery game is hard and money is slow in coming. I would say enjoy the hobby and avoid the profession, unless you have a lot of cash and REALLY don't care what happens.

One day another brewery's owner was visiting and after looking around he said, "You know, maybe we'd have been wiser to open a tooth paste factory." In the end a brewery is a way to make a living and if you are lucky you'll have fun in the process.

I personally love making beer that I can simply enjoy.

This is interesting... and its close enough, I can visit once it opens... fun-stuff... Maybe I missed it in reading all the previous posts, but what LHBS is starting this new brewery..??

Jester

Trubbub said:
I work right across the street from St. George. Their beers can hold their own against anything else out there nationally. The biggest problem, I believe, is their marketing and advertising....

I agree. I like just about all of their beers, but I find it hard to track them down in a store unless I go to a specialty place. It would be nice if they were more accessible to the consumer.

On a completely different note, Microbreweries in the state of Virginia are under the gun from the start due to the rather unfriendly licensing fees (toward the small brewer anyway). I would love to see more micros/brewpubs around this area. There certainly is a market for it, but the damn ABC is stacked against them.:mad:

Trubbub said:
I think the owner of HomebrewUSA out of norfolk, va [ www.homebrewusa.com ] is opening up the brewery.

No, he is just the brewmaster for now. The old ownership group and some additions are funding it, supposedly.

As for the St. George beers--you can buy the beer directly from the brewery as well, and cheaper at that because it doesn't go through the "middle" man.
They also have a tasting room where you can go in and sample everything they brew. If you hurry, you might get to taste the last few sips of the Winter Stout that is on draft. :rockin: They are open every day of the week and are real nice. The first time I ever went in there they were brewing and the owner gave me a tour.

Dude said:
That is extremely unfortunate. I work over there a few times a week now and they are good people.

They hit a marketing gold mine with the recent "Dragon Packs" a sampler of all thier fine regular brews plus one seasonal. The current seasonal is Spring Lager, which I helped bottle this week and put into Dragon Packs today.
Give 'em another try!!!!

I probably will with a little time... chalk it up to a misunderstanding or something. If their beer sucked it would be a different story. :D

I was just there in their tasting room last Friday, and I left with a case of the new Spring Lager.

The guys are really good...... If they have time, they will sit and chat with you and answers all your questions and talk about the beer.......

Trubbub said:
I was just there in their tasting room last Friday, and I left with a case of the new Spring Lager.

The guys are really good...... If they have time, they will sit and chat with you and answers all your questions and talk about the beer.......

Were they bottling at the time? I was there Friday.....

I am always open to new opportunities for investing. Maybe I might be able to horn in on some of the action. I have a little cash sitting around......It takes money to make money. I aint getting no younger, so volatility is really not a problem yet.

Beermaker said:
I am always open to new opportunities for investing. Maybe I might be able to horn in on some of the action. I have a little cash sitting around......It takes money to make money. I aint getting no younger, so volatility is really not a problem yet.

Go for it! Check out the brewery's link that was posted. I'm sure there's some contact info listed on there.

Dude said:
Dude - I only tell you this because I care. Don't put your money into the LHBS guy just because he's going to be brewing somewhere. I don't expect that the guy who sells me tires is a racedriver just because he sells me a set of Dunlops. I have a much better idea. Take the money you were going to invest and send it to me at PO box 133, Stonewall, NC 28583.
You can rest assured that your money will be spent on beer and gas for the tractor. This way, you can get a return on your money. Drive down here, and we'll have beer and I'll let you drive the tractor ( after all, it's your money, right ?). You get the warm feeling of knowing that the money will be spent the way you would've spent it if you lived this deep in the woods.

Just a suggestion...:tank: :cross:

sudsmonkey said:
Dude - I only tell you this because I care. Don't put your money into the LHBS guy just because he's going to be brewing somewhere. I don't expect that the guy who sells me tires is a racedriver just because he sells me a set of Dunlops. I have a much better idea. Take the money you were going to invest and send it to me at PO box 133, Stonewall, NC 28583.
You can rest assured that your money will be spent on beer and gas for the tractor. This way, you can get a return on your money. Drive down here, and we'll have beer and I'll let you drive the tractor ( after all, it's your money, right ?). You get the warm feeling of knowing that the money will be spent the way you would've spent it if you lived this deep in the woods.

Just a suggestion...:tank: :cross:

:D

Mike (the new brewmaster) has a reputation as being a damn good homebrewer. I'm waiting to see if his skills translate to commercial scale brewing. I'm rooting for them!

Dude said:
Were they bottling at the time? I was there Friday.....

Dude, I came in with 2 other guys sometime around 1:30 or 2:00.
I think they were done bottling as all the pallets were sitting in the high bay. Andy served us up some samples and I left with a case of Spring Lager...

...ive seen this happen at my original hbs in s.f. this guy was like 25 and he started a micro brewery in a saturated market (san francisco) that was like 5 years ago and thier still going strong (speakeasy ales and lagers) i remember him telling me right after they opened, "professional brewing is totally different than homebrewing" and he said it like it was a bad thing...

mikes a cool guy, i almost feel bad i never used one of his recipes...i hope he does well. (but please dont close the hbs!)

I called his store today and asked them about the plans for the current or future HBS. They are keeping the one in Norfolk open.... No plans yet for one in Williamsburg. I hope they do since its closer to me than Norfolk...

Back