A Comedy of Errors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copper87

Reaction score
Ok...it's probably not *that* bad.

I brewed a 1 gallon Rye PA on 1/19 (my very first batch) and was so hooked, I went back to my local homebrew shop to get set up for a breakfast stout and brewed it on 1/26. When I was setting up the CO2 blow-off tube on the stout, the freaking stopper fell into my beer. I grabbed the airlock and cap from the Rye PA and put it on the stout to save it (sanitized, of course). Then, I "capped" the Rye PA with a plastic bag.

The Rye PA's fermentation hasn't visibly budged since 1/22, but my instructions say I shouldn't bottle until 2/2. I know that, best case, I should get a new cap and airlock on the Rye, but time's gotten away from me (I'm a flustered grad student most days). Should I just bottle early? Is the plastic bag save going to hold me over for another day or two? Is my Rye a goner? Will my stout taste like rubber?

Not sure what you mean by 'fermentation hasn't visibly budged'.

No - you shouldn't bottle early. You should measure the final gravity with a hydrometer ($10 item) and make sure it is done fermenting by repeating the measurement after three days. When the readings quit changing, it's done with the attenuation phase of fermentation. And is safe to bottle at that point.

Bottle without doing that, and we'll be reading about your bottle-bombs soon.

Back