Does Reverse Osmosis water contain any ions at all?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hokenfloken

Reaction score
Greetings! I've been searching the forum for awhile now and I cannot find any definitive answer to this question.

I currently build my water from distilled water and brewing salts. I would like to start using RO water due to the lower cost.

Can I expect RO water to be nearly free of salt ions?

Any experienced advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Thanks for the wikipedia link, although I have read it already. I guess my question whether or not any of the salt ions are smaller than 0.1 nm. If they are larger, they will be filtered out. If not, they will pass though, or at least that's my interpretation. If RO water is essentially free of ions then what is the point of distilled water? Thanks.

Thanks for the wikipedia link, although I have read it already. I guess my question whether or not any of the salt ions are smaller than 0.1 nm. If they are larger, they will be filtered out. If not, they will pass though, or at least that's my interpretation. If RO water is essentially free of ions then what is the point of distilled water? Thanks.

RO doesn't exclude particles solely on the basis of size, so your interpretation isn't quite correct.

The answer to your question is that the water will not be ion free, there will be lower ion content than there was before, it will probably be very low (single digits ppm for each ion), and it is impossible to predict exactly what it will be.

IF you're using RO-DI (DeIonized) water it should be 0 PPM. If it's just RO, then it will depend on the membrane.

(From my aquarium knowledge)
A 100GPD (Gallon per day) filter has a 90% rejection rate.
A 75GPD has a 97% rejection rate.

So depending on the membrane, you might be getting really good water or just good water. YMMV.

B

I have a RO/DI unit for my reef aquarium. Every time I fire it up I hit the TDS meter to check my incoming and outgoing TDS rate. Since day one I get 0 PPM on the outgoing.

The above post about the membrane is correct. I also believe the quality of the membrane has to do with its rejection rate.

Back