Leftovers recipe suggestions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullimat

Reaction score
I have a bunch of leftovers to get rid of before i leave here in Sep to get stationed in Germany. I was thinking about brewing something up but figure i would check on here for suggestions. I was thinking about maybe an IPA or IIPA, Belgian, or saison although i have a few grains that i would like to finally use, namely special B and aromatic. In the fridge i have Trappist Ale yeast, Kolsch yeast, Nottingham, and Saison yeast. Below is pretty much what i have to work with:

5 lbs. Pils
4 lbs. Munich
About 7 lbs. Cristal 40
Vienna
Special B
1 lb wheat
Crystal 120

and i have LOTS and LOTS of hops (at least 6 oz. each) of:
Fuggles
EK Goldings
Northern Brewer
Hallertauer
Hallertauer Select
Tradition
Tettnang
Willamette
Styrian Goldings
Argentinian Cascade
2 oz. Spalt

As for adjuncts i have some Sweet orange peel, Coriander, oak chips, and raspberry flavoring.

Thanks for the help in advance!

I've been on a belgian kick reciently, so how does this sound, it's a bit low in grav for a dubble, but should be darn tasty anyway.

Leftover Dubbel
5.5 gallons, 75% eff.

5# pils
4# munich
1# wheat malt
.5# Special B
.5# Aromatic
1.5# Dark Candi Syrup (Sugar #5 here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/20-lb-sugar-jar-yeast-nutrient-114837/ )

1.0oz Hallertauer@60
.75oz Spalt@15
.50oz Styrian goldings@0

Trappist Ale yeast

mash at 152 for 60 mins, 60 min boil. Add the syrup at high krausen, 2-3rd day of fermentation.

OG: 1.063
IBU: 21.3

I'd drink the heck out of that.

Sounds like a good recipe. Quick question though. I know crystal 40 or 120 would add some gravity to the beer but what would it do for the flavor/profile of the beer? Say if i were to add 1-1.5 lbs. of either or a mixture.

here's another idea for you, i was stationed in germany for 3 years and i brewed while i was there. there are some nice germany homebrew shops to be found on the web but i also know for a fact that northern brewer ships APO. i wouldn't worry too much about using it all up before you go, i'd pack the ingredients up in a box or 2 and have a relative ship those over once you have an address for them. i'm not sure if you can ship that stuff with household goods but you can try.

have fun over there and enjoy yourself

Sounds like a good recipe. Quick question though. I know crystal 40 or 120 would add some gravity to the beer but what would it do for the flavor/profile of the beer? Say if i were to add 1-1.5 lbs. of either or a mixture.

That much Crystal would easily make it excessively cloying. I wouldn't do it.

That sounds like a pretty good Dubbel recipe, too!

I don't think it's a good idea to brew something that's going to require a long aging time, like IIPA or strong Belgians - you're leaving in September, after all.

You didn't say how much Vienna you've got. If you've got a decent amount, do something like 33.3333% each Pils, Munich and Vienna to ~1.050. Bitter to ~30 IBU with Northern Brewer, then add flavor/aroma additions of a mixture of equal parts Hallertau, Tradition and Tettnang. Get a nice blend going. Ferment with Koelsch yeast at an appropriate temperature.

Nice, clean, malty German ale with a decent smack of hops.

Bob

Back