How long is LME good for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got a really good deal on some HB gear via CL. One of the parts of the deal was a Williams brewing kit, A Belgian Double, that was factory sealed and supposedly refrigerated. I opened it and noticed that the prod date on the yeast is 2005!! I am sure that the hops and yeast are no good. What about the Candi sugar? I smacked the yeast pack just for ****s and giggles. I am assuming that the hops are no longer any good either.

What about the LME? It looks ok and I do not see any mold or anything strange. What are peoples thoughts as to whether it is safe to use or not?

TIA

Zman

It's certainly safe...you're going boil it an hour anyhow! Yeah, I'd toss the hops and yeast. I'm sure the candi sugar is perfectly fine. The LME is a bigger question mark, but if it's well sealed it is probably okay.

Brew it up, it's worth gambling a few ounces of hops and some yeast. Maybe harvest some yeast from another batch, if you don't want to gamble the price of a new smack pack.

I am going to use dry yeast, nottingham I think. I believe it is a #9 bag of LME. I am looking to see what I can make with it.

Ive never seen LME in a bag....but I only have one or two stores that I frequent so it may be more common than I assume. Seems like the LME in a can would last longer, but who knows?

taste it...it you like it, brew it!

Ive never seen LME in a bag....but I only have one or two stores that I frequent so it may be more common than I assume. Seems like the LME in a can would last longer, but who knows?

taste it...it you like it, brew it!

It is from a Kit by Williams Brewing. I decided to use it to make a porter and it is happily bubbling away

Back