How does my Bitter look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Notnice

Reaction score
I'm thinking about trying my hand at a English bitter please tell me how this sounds:

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 87.50 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 12.50 %
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 28.8 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 dHops -
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 dHops -
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (30 min) Hops 6.5 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (5 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968)

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.39 gal
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 10.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 37.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - BeerSmith Brewing Software, Recipes, Blog, Wiki and Discussion Forum

I never got good attenuation out of liquid malt, so I would cut back on the crystal to 8-12oz, but thats just me
It's a little big for a Bitter, but not a Special Bitter and it should be good with all the EKG's and Fuller's yeast

cool, I figured the pound couldn't hurt flavor. I like bitters and the recipe feels light a good start. I'm still learning allot this being my 3 brew and would be my second scratch recipe

Thats the kind of feed back I was looking for, thanks NQ3X. If it works out I may have to send u guys a couple.

Lol Bob if it works out and I turn This into a 10G batch I may be inclined to send a case do a little of that mild or the black dog

So I pulled the trigger on this and i plan on doing this tomorrow. I got my Ic working and cant wait to finally make a clear beer. I also picked up some gelatin just in case.

Special Bitters don't have aroma adds or dry hopping, generally. Looks fine for a Pale, though.

Its ok I'm not really a stickler for the styles just use them as direction. I want to try dry hoping that's the main reason.
And yes I would love some feedback on this and I love milds so a swap sounds great.
I'm off now to pick up some steaks and ice so I can get to brewin

brew day went great!. IC worked like a champ, i know know what cold break looks like. hopefully the yeast like what i have prepared for them. I'm thinking 20 to 30 days in primary then to secondary depending on how clear and dry hopping

Only casualty was my racking cane. weld-less fittings here I come

7 days later and this is still going steady. man this 1968 is no joke. my other brews were out of gas, so to speak, after 2-3 days damn I need to get to planning my next brew so I can leave this one alone for a while

Special Bitters don't have aroma adds or dry hopping, generally. Looks fine for a Pale, though.

I agree with David 42 on this one. I'd save your dry hopping for an Ipa or Pale beer. If you want a bitter leave out the dry hops and late additions. Whatever you decide .....looks like a good recipe..:mug:

I may save the dry to use on another batch. I an thinking of reusing the yeast cake for an old ale I was working on. The beer is already made so I can't take out the late additions

So I got great attenuation FG came down to .012@64 deg. I left it in primary for 20days then racked it onto gelatin to clear up a little . I plan on bottling on Fri only a week in secondary but i just took another sample and its clear as day so i think its cool.
I plan on not touching this for at least 3 to 4 weeks in bottle, but as usual I cant wait.

Man I love brewing

its been bottled since the 4 ( not Fri the 5th) i don't really know if the gelatin helped or if I was just being paranoid.

I tried a sample bottle and it already tastes wonderful. its still alittle green but plan on brewing it again really soon to see if I can replicate this again. I think I have found my house beer. :)
I gave a sample to my mother and she loves, in fact my BMC drinking brother in law was at the house and he loves it as well. I cant wait to see how this turns out after a couple more weeks in the bottle. (if it lasts that long) :cross::ban:

i was hoping to have a few to send to u guys for the thanks but they flew off the shelf as soon as they were carbed. deff doing this one again thanks to the board again.

Sounds like it went well. I've been meaning to try the Fullers yeast and maybe a simple brew like that is the way to go. I might switch it to a PM w/ late DME addition and add 1/4 lb carapils to the mash for foam. And I might mash Marris Otter...

Nice please let me know how that turns out. for when I move up to Ag. and it keeps getting better. I just cracked another one in Toast to another members Bday (saved a sixer for myself until i can brew again)

I don't really know exactly what the yeast itself did to help this along. in the future i would choose to brew it as a 10g brew and pitch 2 different yeasts. if anything in the end i could try my hand at blending as well. :rockin:

Thinking of doing a Coniston Bluebird Bitter http://www.conistonbrewery.com/coniston-ales.htm .......good stuff. Here's a clone I found but havent made it yet. I have the grains and is on the TO DO LIST soon!
5.5 Gals
7# Marris Otter
.5 # Crystal 60L
.5 # Crystal 120L
S-04 yeast
Challenger hops 60 min and 10 to give you 36 IBU's
3.6 ABV

Run it through Beersmith and work it out.

I guess thanks but that's a little OT dude. I don't even do all grain. If ur looking for advice maybe it would be wise to start ur own thread

So I'm taking another crack at this. only this time I on a drunken accident I ordered amber malt extract instead of pale no biggie(and also a mini auto-siphon for some reason), the intention was to try with different yeast so I opted for notty but its not a true test with the new lme. ether way it will be drank

Latest posts

Back