Made my first partial grain brew...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atmyownpace

Reaction score
So over the weekend I brewed a partial grain dunkelweizen that is currently fermenting. My question is I can't seem to get the fermenting temp up to 68 which was the recommended ferment temp as showing on the thermometer. It's been sitting between 64 and 66. Is this going to be an issue other than taking a bit longer to ferment?

Thanks for any tips for this still new to brewing, yet excited to learn more "noobie" :)

As long as that 64-66F is within the yeasts' temp range,it'll actually be a bit cleaner tasting. If you used a wheat beer yeast,it should get more love like esters at the lower temp.

The fermentation temperature will be higher than your ambient temperature (assuming 64-66F room temperature is what you meant) at the beginning of primary so you're probably right around the yeast's optimum temperature range. A couple of degrees won't adversely affect it and it will likely ferment out a little crisper and cleaner (though after primary, to your point, it may take a little longer to complete).

Thanks for the info,

I am surprised at how much i learned from the first 2 batches that I did which were extract brews. The first one got infected and turned out pretty terrible. The second batch I think I fermented at too high of a temp. It was drinkable but didn't taste all that great. Here's to hoping the third time is a charm. :)

Back